Posted to alt.home.repair

Default changing color of electrical outlet & switch plates

I need to change the all the beige cover plates to a dark green in my
theater room. Probably I won't paint the actual toggle or round
outlet, but just the cover plate. Will Rustoleum or Krylon paint for
plastics work well? What are my other choices?

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
From plain to fancy...

http://www.switchhits.com/switchplat...ers_g02. html

On Jan 24, 8:00 pm, Phisherman wrote:
I need to change the all the beige cover plates to a dark green in my
theater room. Probably I won't paint the actual toggle or round
outlet, but just the cover plate. Will Rustoleum or Krylon paint for
plastics work well? What are my other choices?

I have had good luck with just some good wall paint.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have used ordinary wall paint. May take a couple of coats. I'd also
look into the "Fusion" plastic paint from Krylon, if the color is
acceptable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 01:00:52 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I need to change the all the beige cover plates to a dark green in my
theater room. Probably I won't paint the actual toggle or round
outlet, but just the cover plate. Will Rustoleum or Krylon paint for
plastics work well? What are my other choices?

What are the plates made of?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 01:00:52 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I need to change the all the beige cover plates to a dark green in my
theater room. Probably I won't paint the actual toggle or round
outlet, but just the cover plate. Will Rustoleum or Krylon paint for
plastics work well? What are my other choices?

What are the plates made of?

Scuff them with steel wool, or maybe a scotchbrite pad, degrease them well,
and spray away with Krylon or similar. As cheap as the plastic plates are,
no big loss if it doesn't stick or you hose up the spray job. Generic plates
are usually less than a buck, maybe a little higher for gang plates.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I need to change the all the beige cover plates to a dark green in my
theater room. Probably I won't paint the actual toggle or round
outlet, but just the cover plate. Will Rustoleum or Krylon paint for
plastics work well? What are my other choices?

Never tried it, but I have been told that you can throw them into a kitchen
pot and use food dye. Certainly worth a try.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
I need to change the all the beige cover plates to a dark green in my
theater room. Probably I won't paint the actual toggle or round
outlet, but just the cover plate. Will Rustoleum or Krylon paint for
plastics work well? What are my other choices?

Krylon should work fine.
If you really want to make them disappear, paint
them with the same paint used on the wall; paint
everything that shows. Or, if the walls are
papered, you can cover them with the same wall
paper. I've got a dentist that has a bathroom
with the highly patterned wall paper, and one
really has to hunt for the light switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
"Phisherman" wrote in message
I need to change the all the beige cover plates to a dark green in my
theater room. Probably I won't paint the actual toggle or round
outlet, but just the cover plate. Will Rustoleum or Krylon paint for
plastics work well? What are my other choices?

Never tried it, but I have been told that you can throw them into a
kitchen pot and use food dye. Certainly worth a try.

Ivan Vegvary

Easter egg dye comes to mind. I wonder what some of those swill things
and other Easter egg decoration things would do? It could make for some
interesting light switches :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:06:04 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
From plain to fancy...

http://www.switchhits.com/switchplat...ers_g02. html

On Jan 24, 8:00 pm, Phisherman wrote:
I need to change the all the beige cover plates to a dark green in my
theater room. Probably I won't paint the actual toggle or round
outlet, but just the cover plate. Will Rustoleum or Krylon paint for
plastics work well? What are my other choices?

I have had good luck with just some good wall paint.

Me too. My house is full of plastic cover plates that were painted
22 years ago with cheapo kmart flat latex wall paint and you can't
scrape it off!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 01:00:52 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I need to change the all the beige cover plates to a dark green in my
theater room. Probably I won't paint the actual toggle or round
outlet, but just the cover plate. Will Rustoleum or Krylon paint for
plastics work well? What are my other choices?

IMHO:

Plastic paint, like krylon sounds liek a good idea.

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I need to change the all the beige cover plates to a dark green in my
theater room. Probably I won't paint the actual toggle or round
outlet, but just the cover plate. Will Rustoleum or Krylon paint for
plastics work well? What are my other choices?

give them a light sanding then you can use any kind of latex. or
whatever you like.