Posted to alt.home.repair

Default changing color of electrical outlet & switch plates

spake thus:

"mm" wrote in message

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 01:00:52 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I need to change the all the beige cover plates to a dark green in my
theater room. Probably I won't paint the actual toggle or round
outlet, but just the cover plate. Will Rustoleum or Krylon paint for
plastics work well? What are my other choices?

What are the plates made of?

Scuff them with steel wool, or maybe a scotchbrite pad, degrease them well,
and spray away with Krylon or similar. As cheap as the plastic plates are,
no big loss if it doesn't stick or you hose up the spray job. Generic plates
are usually less than a buck, maybe a little higher for gang plates.

For that matter, you could probably even bake them a little to harden
the paint, even if they're plastic: should be able to withstand, say,
150-175° (F) for an hour or so.

But yes, if I couldn't find readymade plates in the color you want,
enamel spray paint would be just the ticket.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)