Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 'Snapping' Noise from Gas Stove

Hello,

I have a Maytag gas range that is probably right around a year old.
I'm noticing lately that will occasionally make a snapping noise when
I'm cooking something. The sounds is a lot like what you get if you
put a piece of paper on a desk and snap it with a rubber band. There
doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it- it will do it after 1
minute of cooking or 20 minutes of cooking. I'm not sure if it's
isolated to one burner or not.

It's not an errant ignitor- I sat and watched all the burners I was
using tonight to see if I could see something when it made the noise.
It snapped a couple of times over a few minutes, but I couldn't see any
change in any flame patterns or colors or anything.

Would/could this just be something that gas stoves do? Air in the
line? I recently also mentioned a water heater pilot light that keeps
going out (I can't figure out how to get to the thermocouple, and the
pro is booked up). Perhaps related?

Anyone know if this is something or nothing to be concerned about?

Thanks for any help. "gas stove makes snapping noise" is a horrible
thing to try to google.

-ph

Posted to alt.home.repair

"phaeton" wrote in message

It's not an errant ignitor- I sat and watched all the burners I was
using tonight to see if I could see something when it made the noise.
It snapped a couple of times over a few minutes, but I couldn't see any
change in any flame patterns or colors or anything.

If the igniter is snapping, you won't see the flame doing anything. Look at
where the igniter gap is to see if it is arcing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How certain are you that it's not the ignitor firing for some reason? You
said you looked at the flame and didn't see anything in time with the snaps
but you wouldn't if it was the ignitor. I'd light a burner then kill power
and see if it still does it. If so then maybe it's some odd thermal
expansion thing which you'll have to track down by listening closely to
where it's coming from. But eliminate the ignitor first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

maybe: is it relighting the oven burner? look at all ignitors which
usually spark/snap at once. one per top burner, one for oven, one for
broiler. inspect all including oven and broiler with the room lights
off to see spark more easily. look at ignitor box on back of stove in
the dark with a mirror. video record to catch the occasional event if
needed.
but definitely also see:
http://fixitnow.com/

On Jan 23, 11:05 pm, "phaeton" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

Ignore it.

On 23 Jan 2007 20:05:04 -0800, "phaeton"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry folks, I should have made it clear that when I sat and watched
the burner, I was specifically staring at the ignitor. It really
doesn't appear to be the ignitor, and the snapping noise is about 10
times louder than the 'clicking' noises that the ignitors make.

thanks

any experience with Vifah snapping deck tiles? [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 13th 11 08:43 PM
GE GAS STOVE MoM Home Repair 8 December 14th 05 06:49 AM
Knocking noise with Jenn-Air Gas Stove Bill Home Repair 1 October 10th 05 12:56 PM
Whirlpool Gas Stove - Natural Gas Joe Grassi Home Repair 6 September 11th 05 01:56 PM
Gas stove sometimes won't light Phisherman Home Repair 2 February 24th 05 05:08 PM