Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cheap receptacles vs heavy duty

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:09:20 -0500, SMF
wrote:

Hi,

Is there a good opinion about choosing the proper receptacle. When
browsing HD there are receptacles which range from 50 cents up to 6
dollars. There are some in between for around $2.00 which state
commercial contractor quality.

I have replaced my older two prong outlets with the $2.00 ones for
equipment such as table lights, computer, TV ect. I am wondering
however whether these are also ok for other equipment such as
refrigerators or washing machines or should those go on a heavy duty
one?

The majority of my wiring in the house is 20amp.

Thanks,
SF

First I like spec grade stuff, and I also switched over to decora,
they are automaticly upgraded.

You mention something that concerns me, you said you were replacing 2
prong ones, are you verifying you have an equipment ground? Just to
be that weird shop teacher, safety first, and only qualified people
should work on electrical circuits.

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Humble Tom wrote:

First I like spec grade stuff, and I also switched over to decora,
they are automaticly upgraded.

Hmm...at Home Depot at least the decora receptacles appear to have
identical guts to the "regular" receptacles. They didn't even carry
spec grade decora receptacles.

I recently did something similar to "ChrisCoaster". Kitchen, bathrooms,
and garage/shop got spec grade receptacles. Rest of the house got the
cheapies.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

long term better quality is superior. I DONT like fixing things
repeatedly...........

better quality has screws to hold wires when tightened

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:03:45 -0600, Chris Friesen
wrote:

Humble Tom wrote:

First I like spec grade stuff, and I also switched over to decora,
they are automaticly upgraded.

Hmm...at Home Depot at least the decora receptacles appear to have
identical guts to the "regular" receptacles. They didn't even carry
spec grade decora receptacles.

I just went down to check the left overs I have. I found only
switches, but both cooper and leviton say they 'spec grade'. I didn't
see anything on the box, but the yokes had the imprint. Sorry these
were switches not receptacles.

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

I recently did something similar to "ChrisCoaster". Kitchen, bathrooms,
and garage/shop got spec grade receptacles. Rest of the house got the
cheapies.

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Humble Tom wrote:

First I like spec grade stuff, and I also switched over to decora,
they are automaticly upgraded.

Hmm...at Home Depot at least the decora receptacles appear to have
identical guts to the "regular" receptacles. They didn't even carry
spec grade decora receptacles.

I just went down to check the left overs I have. I found only
switches, but both cooper and leviton say they 'spec grade'. I didn't
see anything on the box, but the yokes had the imprint. Sorry these
were switches not receptacles.

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

I recently did something similar to "ChrisCoaster". Kitchen, bathrooms,
and garage/shop got spec grade receptacles. Rest of the house got the
cheapies.

Chris

They do sell ones that at least look like spec grade, but not in
contractor packs. If you buy the 10-packs you get the cheap ones. I'm
only talking about Lowe's here though as I've started to avoid HD, more
hassle than it's worth to go there.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Humble Tom wrote:

[...]

I look for the words on the actual receptacle, plus the failures I see
with regular recepatcles is premature cracking around the ground
prong. Decora's have a little more meat there for me.

As for lowes verse HD, I prefer Lowes, at this time since it can
change, I run into happier Lowes workers than home depot ones.

Just an observation.....

tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel posted for all of us...

I've taken quite a few out of my house; push-in back wire only. So far
I've got most of the basement and first floor the way I want it but have
done nothing with the second floor

nate

datz nize
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Husky wrote:

I think you're confusing the regular outlets with screws on the sides
and spring barb push in openings in the back with what is being
discussed here, spec grade outlets where the screws go into a "loose"
nut behind the push in openings.

Not all are as you describe. There are spec outlets like the Leviton
CR15 that are side-wire only. Around here at least they're quite a bit
cheaper than the back and side wire ones (ie Leviton 5252) you describe.

Chris