Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cheap receptacles vs heavy duty

I've used the "50 cent" ones exclusively for every position. No problems.
If one seems to get a bit loose from over use, then I just pop in a new one.
there's not many places in the house where stuff gets plugged in and out a
lot.

--
Steve Barker

"SMF" wrote in message
Hi,

Is there a good opinion about choosing the proper receptacle. When
browsing HD there are receptacles which range from 50 cents up to 6
dollars. There are some in between for around $2.00 which state
commercial contractor quality.

I have replaced my older two prong outlets with the $2.00 ones for
equipment such as table lights, computer, TV ect. I am wondering
however whether these are also ok for other equipment such as
refrigerators or washing machines or should those go on a heavy duty
one?

The majority of my wiring in the house is 20amp.

Thanks,
SF

Posted to alt.home.repair

I recommend using the good ones (Spec Grade) whenever you need
something with a good push in type terminal where you clamp down on the
push in thing with a screw or you need more than two things connected
to the outlet (so as to avoid wire nutting). This is because you have
only 2 places for wiring on the regular receptacles vs 4 on a spec
grade. Do not use the regular push in terminals on any receptacles,
under any circumstances.

The other consideration is space. The cheap residential grade outlets
(and switches) are slightly smaller, and in a cramped environment, that
can sometimes make a difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
I've used the "50 cent" ones exclusively for every position. No problems.
If one seems to get a bit loose from over use, then I just pop in a new
one. there's not many places in the house where stuff gets plugged in and
out a lot.

I guess you get what you pay for. My house was built in 1978 and none have
been replaced yet. Not worth saving $1.50 if I'm going to have to replace it
in a few years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote in message

I've used the "50 cent" ones exclusively for every position. No problems.
If one seems to get a bit loose from over use, then I just pop in a new
one. there's not many places in the house where stuff gets plugged in and
out a lot.

I guess you get what you pay for. My house was built in 1978 and none have
been replaced yet. Not worth saving $1.50 if I'm going to have to replace it
in a few years.

Ayup, that's the point. I imagine the "upgrades" to my house were done
around 1980ish and *most* of the receps wouldn't hold a plug securely.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel