Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Genie garage door opener installation, has anybody encountered this?

The plastic gears in my Sears chain drive opener failed again, so I
chose
to replace the opener with a new Genie screw drive opener. After
assembling
the new opener and taking measurements, I discovered there would be
insufficient clearance between the rail and the door as it opened, even
if
I mounted everything as high as the ceiling (my ceiling is 8 ft. and my
door
is 7 ft.).

Upon contacting Genie customer service, the agent said I would have to
purchase a "low headroom kit". Anybody had this experience? Any
suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"nucleus" wrote in message
oups.com...
The plastic gears in my Sears chain drive opener failed again, so I
chose
to replace the opener with a new Genie screw drive opener. After
assembling
the new opener and taking measurements, I discovered there would be
insufficient clearance between the rail and the door as it opened, even
if
I mounted everything as high as the ceiling (my ceiling is 8 ft. and my
door
is 7 ft.).

Upon contacting Genie customer service, the agent said I would have to
purchase a "low headroom kit". Anybody had this experience? Any
suggestions?

I had a similar situation--door would hit ceiling as it opened up. The
solution was to install a special set of hardware on the door that would
make it track a bit lower. I didn't do it so I'm afraid that I can't
provide specifics.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most garages have ceiling heights over 8', if the ceilings match those
in the house. Mine was close to 8'8", but there is a minimum floor
elevation required by code (4"?) to prevent combustible gas from
entering your home. Don't know why yours is so low; builders do
strange things.

The low clearance kit is a couple of straight tracks and some brackets
and bolts to mount them stacked on your existing top tracks. The top
rollers ride this track so the top section doesn't climb when the door
opens. The other rollers ride in the existing tracks.

You could probably salvage your old straight tracks and brackets and
make your own kit; haven't tried this but it seems reasonable.

nucleus wrote:
The plastic gears in my Sears chain drive opener failed again, so I
chose
to replace the opener with a new Genie screw drive opener. After
assembling
the new opener and taking measurements, I discovered there would be
insufficient clearance between the rail and the door as it opened, even
if
I mounted everything as high as the ceiling (my ceiling is 8 ft. and my
door
is 7 ft.).

Upon contacting Genie customer service, the agent said I would have to
purchase a "low headroom kit". Anybody had this experience? Any
suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I mounted everything as high as the ceiling (my ceiling is 8 ft. and my
door
is 7 ft.).

Upon contacting Genie customer service, the agent said I would have to
purchase a "low headroom kit". Anybody had this experience? Any
suggestions?

Would you be able to mount it in between the rafters? Not below. My
previous home was set up this way. Of course this all depends on which
way the rafters are directed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nucleus" wrote in message
oups.com...
The plastic gears in my Sears chain drive opener failed again, so I
chose
to replace the opener with a new Genie screw drive opener. After
assembling
the new opener and taking measurements, I discovered there would be
insufficient clearance between the rail and the door as it opened, even
if
I mounted everything as high as the ceiling (my ceiling is 8 ft. and my
door
is 7 ft.).

Upon contacting Genie customer service, the agent said I would have to
purchase a "low headroom kit". Anybody had this experience? Any
suggestions?

What is confusing is that you already had an opener on the door with no
problems. Why would the new opener be so much lower? I too had problems
with various openers and they all installed at the same height.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Simple fix, go to http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/top-roller-carrier.html
pick up the quick close fixtures.
It's quite simple to install yourself.