Posted to alt.home.repair
cmiles3 cmiles3 is offline

Default Genie garage door opener installation, has anybody encountered this?

Most garages have ceiling heights over 8', if the ceilings match those
in the house. Mine was close to 8'8", but there is a minimum floor
elevation required by code (4"?) to prevent combustible gas from
entering your home. Don't know why yours is so low; builders do
strange things.

The low clearance kit is a couple of straight tracks and some brackets
and bolts to mount them stacked on your existing top tracks. The top
rollers ride this track so the top section doesn't climb when the door
opens. The other rollers ride in the existing tracks.

You could probably salvage your old straight tracks and brackets and
make your own kit; haven't tried this but it seems reasonable.

nucleus wrote:
The plastic gears in my Sears chain drive opener failed again, so I
chose
to replace the opener with a new Genie screw drive opener. After
assembling
the new opener and taking measurements, I discovered there would be
insufficient clearance between the rail and the door as it opened, even
if
I mounted everything as high as the ceiling (my ceiling is 8 ft. and my
door
is 7 ft.).

Upon contacting Genie customer service, the agent said I would have to
purchase a "low headroom kit". Anybody had this experience? Any
suggestions?