Posted to alt.home.repair
nucleus nucleus is offline

Default Genie garage door opener installation, has anybody encountered this?

The plastic gears in my Sears chain drive opener failed again, so I
chose
to replace the opener with a new Genie screw drive opener. After
assembling
the new opener and taking measurements, I discovered there would be
insufficient clearance between the rail and the door as it opened, even
if
I mounted everything as high as the ceiling (my ceiling is 8 ft. and my
door
is 7 ft.).

Upon contacting Genie customer service, the agent said I would have to
purchase a "low headroom kit". Anybody had this experience? Any
suggestions?