Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refinishing the garage

We have a small house w/ a one car garage, I would like to make a 3 season
room out of the garage and only use the garage for car storage in the
winter. Currently it has paneling w/ significant water damage (roof and
ceiling repairs have been made) The garage needs to be gutted and re-walled.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what material would be best to re-wall the
garage. It seems to me that drywall wouldn't be a good choice because of
drawing moisture and I'm wondering if wood paneling would have the same
problem. I also need this project to stay low cost.

More than likely this room will serve as a rec room for my kids, so what
ever I put in there will have to be pretty durable.

Thanks for any advise,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Knit Chic wrote:
We have a small house w/ a one car garage, I would like to make a 3 season
room out of the garage and only use the garage for car storage in the
winter. Currently it has paneling w/ significant water damage (roof and
ceiling repairs have been made) The garage needs to be gutted and re-walled.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what material would be best to re-wall the
garage. It seems to me that drywall wouldn't be a good choice because of
drawing moisture and I'm wondering if wood paneling would have the same
problem. I also need this project to stay low cost.

More than likely this room will serve as a rec room for my kids, so what
ever I put in there will have to be pretty durable.

Thanks for any advise,

Is'nt winter when kids would need it the most? Giving them a place any
time of year is a help tho..Been there..
Maybe tounge n groove pine if Ya catch it on sale..There is a
drywall product called Dens Glass Gold sheathing,,it is tougher than
reg 1/2" sheetrock and reportedly mold resistant,,recommended to finish
with hot mud(setting type) to increase the mold resistance but I'm sure
reg mud could be used..There may be other similar products in 4'x8' or
4'x12' by now too..I used the above sheets in a basement for a "mold
fearing" alergic Customer..Went up just like normal rock except a bit
harder to cut and screw.. Dunno price per sheet as I did'nt supply
it,,just hung,finished smoothe and primed..
MR drywall(greenboard) sheets would resist humidity but are'nt much
tougher than normal..
Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

Knit Chic wrote:
We have a small house w/ a one car garage, I would like to make a 3
season room out of the garage and only use the garage for car storage
in the winter. Currently it has paneling w/ significant water damage
(roof and ceiling repairs have been made) The garage needs to be
gutted and re-walled.
I'm looking for suggestions as to what material would be best to
re-wall the garage. It seems to me that drywall wouldn't be a good
choice because of drawing moisture and I'm wondering if wood paneling
would have the same problem. I also need this project to stay low
cost.
More than likely this room will serve as a rec room for my kids, so
what ever I put in there will have to be pretty durable.

Thanks for any advise,

Well my garage, attached, has all inside walls and ceiling drywalled
with 5/8" fire rated as required by local code. I have been here over 10
years, with two cars in an out all seasons including brining in lots of snow
during the winter and no problems.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Knit Chic wrote:
We have a small house w/ a one car garage, I would like to make a 3 season
room out of the garage and only use the garage for car storage in the
winter. Currently it has paneling w/ significant water damage (roof and
ceiling repairs have been made) The garage needs to be gutted and re-walled.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what material would be best to re-wall the
garage. It seems to me that drywall wouldn't be a good choice because of
drawing moisture and I'm wondering if wood paneling would have the same
problem. I also need this project to stay low cost.

More than likely this room will serve as a rec room for my kids, so what
ever I put in there will have to be pretty durable.

Thanks for any advise,

I assume since you are concerned about moisture that you have slab on
grade construction as opposed to a perimeter stem wall?

Since it is a garage which can be subject to some pretty rough use, I
would suggest 1/2" (minimum) plywood over the studs & then cover with
drywall.

Both the plywood & the drywall should be gapped at least 1/2" at the
floor so that water wicking is minimized.

To reduce cost you can scrounge plywood scraps & damaged pieces & just
cut them up to usable sizes.

The parts of the garage that abut the house need 5/8 fire rated
drywall.

Again, since you have a fully sheathed wall, you can use drywall scraps
(it will improve your taping skills)

A good mud will make the whole thing look pretty decent

Prime with ZIinseer Hide Cover Stain, finish with a semi gloss (light
color) & you'll have pretty nice room.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:
Knit Chic wrote:
[...]

Drywall is used in the vast majority of garages. Drywall is also used
on the vast majority of living spaces. Since this garage is going to
serve as both, that is what I would use. Moisture should not be an
issue, unless some unresolved problem with water is still present.
Make sure you use fire rated and follow codes for this, fire rated
doors, insulation, etc adjoing the living space.

I also would not waste money on priming with stain killer, as I don't
see it buying you anything with new drywall. And I would not
recommend semi gloss for large drywall areas, as it will show minor
imperfections in the drywall that you would not see with flat or a
satin type product. It does have the advantage of being easier to
clean, but that usually only rises to a deciding factor in areas like
bathrooms or kitchens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
BobK207 wrote:
Knit Chic wrote:
[...]

The advantages to using Zinseer are

In reasonable weather you can prime before lunch, clean up, break for
lunch
paint after lunch,
you'll get one finish coat coverage
& you'll be all done the same day .

This is a garage, right? not a showroom?

Yeah, semi will show the imperfections but it wears & cleans
better....your call.

Flat will show every finger print or bump.....IMO a big potential
mistake.

How much of the wall space will be exposed (no furniture / cabinets /
shelving?

cheers
Bob

Ceiling in garage too low for installling garage door opener [email protected] Home Ownership 6 November 26th 06 03:46 PM
refinishing John Woodworking 5 March 2nd 05 05:54 PM
Garage floor refinishing? Martin Home Repair 5 January 20th 05 03:10 AM
Furniture refinishing John UK diy 8 October 3rd 04 06:18 PM
refinishing walls donald girod Home Repair 1 August 3rd 03 05:25 AM