Posted to alt.home.repair

Default JD lawn tractor question

Hi,I have spoken for an estimated 25yo JD lawn tractor,,12
1/2horse,,mower deck and single stage snow blower attachment,,recent
engine re-build,,whatever "recent" is and a new seat..The price is
$200,,,sound about right? My Bro-in-Law is using it this Winter then
come spring it's Mine..I ca'nt really justify a new rig for this lawn
alone and the small lot accross the street..I blew-up the Murray
rider,,got it for $75 tho and used 2 seasons..
Does Anyone know the original cost(estimated)of the above JD? Also
I'm thinking I'd like to trade the snowblower for a plow
attachment,,how likely is that?heh heh..I hopped on and fired it up at
the Cristmas get-together,,started good and sounded fine to Me,,of
course the Mead,Beer and Wine were floating around pretty well at the
time..It sounds like They just want to get their recent invesments in
it back,,My Sis has owned it since new I think..
I could use Her 25% Employee discount and get new but still ca'nt
justify that much $ at this time..
Thanks
Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

Original price? About $1400 if I remember correctly. 12 HP, is it a model
112? Also, don't expect much out of the plow. Even with weights and
chains, my dad's 1974 110 is pretty worthless pushing snow. I suspect the
blower would be better. If it doesn't smoke or knock, I rekon $200 is a
pretty good deal. I attend a consignment auction every Monday night and
even the off brand riding lawn mowers bring $300-$600 . I think the JD is
probably one of the best built GARDEN TRACTORs ever built. Notice I didn't
call it a riding lawn mower. There's a big difference.

--
Steve Barker

"Dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean wrote:
[...]

$200 for that to me seems really cheap. Where I am the snowthrower
alone might get that (Wisconsin)

The blower will work better than a plow if you get much snow.

You might ask a JD dealer if the old blower will fit the newer
tractors. That will determine how quick a sale you will get.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
Original price? About $1400 if I remember correctly. 12 HP, is it a model
112? Also, don't expect much out of the plow. Even with weights and
chains, my dad's 1974 110 is pretty worthless pushing snow. I suspect the
blower would be better. If it doesn't smoke or knock, I rekon $200 is a
pretty good deal. I attend a consignment auction every Monday night and
even the off brand riding lawn mowers bring $300-$600 . I think the JD is
probably one of the best built GARDEN TRACTORs ever built. Notice I didn't
call it a riding lawn mower. There's a big difference.

Wow! $1400?! Just talked to Bro-in-Law and Sis,,it's a model 111 and
rebuilt engine n carb 5-6 years ago..He thinks it is the 2nd(or
therebouts)model JD made..He said He just blew snow for the whole
block!! With "My" rig!! LOL..Oh well,,if My Family like Their Neighbors
then I do too..I'll sacrifice the wear n tear..
Dean

--
Steve Barker

"Dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Dean wrote:
[...]

Good info and Hi Neighbor,,I'm not too far from the Mississippi in
IA..
Maybe I'll buy a plow and test it out for a season then think about
selling one or the other..
I used the 10 horse Murray rider(rear engine tho)to chain wrap the
end of RR ties and drag 100' accross gravel drive and yard(in
summer)about 10 times/ties,,I think a bigger rig should plow
unless,,like You say,,it's deep snow..My Friend uses His Cub Cadet to
plow every year for a while now so maybe? I do remember Him saying He
had to go out during blizzards to keep it from gettin too deep.. My
drive is flat and the Chev is 4x4 so I do'nt really need either for
Myself,,the occasional Visitor might like a clean place to park/walk
tho..The drive is gravel,,will that harm a blower? I know it played
hell with a mower deck blade after the plow man pushed excess
snow/gravel into My yard last Winter..
Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Jan 2007 09:49:49 -0800, "Dean" wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

A 111 is a lawn mower not a garden tractor. Light duty transmission,
8" rear wheels vs 12 for garden tractors, vertical shaft engine. Mine
was originally a 11 hp B&S. The replacement was a 12 hp. I think you
will have more luck blowing snow than pushing it. No comparison to a
110 or 112 which were real garden tractors.

--Andy Asberry--
Posted to alt.home.repair

A 111? Oh, in that case it's a riding lawn mower and was probably about
$600-$700 new. Worth about twenty-five cents now.

--
Steve Barker

ups.com...