Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ground Union????

We got a propane heater the other day. The installation instructions call
for a "ground union" between the incoming on/off valve and the heater
connection. What's a "ground union" and what happens if I don't use one?

JC

Posted to alt.home.repair

J.C. wrote:
We got a propane heater the other day. The installation instructions call
for a "ground union" between the incoming on/off valve and the heater
connection. What's a "ground union" and what happens if I don't use one?

JC

I might be totally wrong with this but I believe a ground union is a
connector that is grounded to allow static electricity to dischage
safely. I believe this is only used on fixed natural gas or the big
propane tanks.

If you Google "ground union" propane there are a bunch of pdf
files explaining what they are .

Like all gas things I assume if something goes wrong you get a fire and
massive explosion

Posted to alt.home.repair

J.C. wrote:

We got a propane heater the other day. The installation instructions call
for a "ground union" between the incoming on/off valve and the heater
connection. What's a "ground union" and what happens if I don't use one?

JC

That should read "ground joint union".

Look closely at a black iron (malleable) pipe union
and you'll see an embedded ring of copper or brass
which is carefully ground and polished to make
a leak-tight seal between the union halves.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products....ex?sku=466343

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
et...
J.C. wrote:

We got a propane heater the other day. The installation instructions call
for a "ground union" between the incoming on/off valve and the heater
connection. What's a "ground union" and what happens if I don't use one?

JC

That should read "ground joint union".

Look closely at a black iron (malleable) pipe union
and you'll see an embedded ring of copper or brass
which is carefully ground and polished to make
a leak-tight seal between the union halves.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products....ex?sku=466343

Jim

Thanks to both of you. And you're correct, it is "Ground Joint Union".

JC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 16:42:37 GMT, "J.C." wrote:

We got a propane heater the other day. The installation instructions call
for a "ground union" between the incoming on/off valve and the heater
connection. What's a "ground union" and what happens if I don't use one?

JC

A google search turned up this discussion:
http://www.plbg.com/forum/read.php?1,276139

hth,

tom @ www.FreeCreditReportAdvice.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 16:42:37 GMT, "J.C." wrote:

We got a propane heater the other day. The installation instructions call
for a "ground union" between the incoming on/off valve and the heater
connection. What's a "ground union" and what happens if I don't use one?

JC

A google search turned up this discussion:
http://www.plbg.com/forum/read.php?1,276139

hth,

tom @ www.FreeCreditReportAdvice.com

Thanks Tom.

JC

Bonded ground wires vs. earth ground wire Eigenvector Home Repair 21 December 28th 06 05:31 PM
ground wire extension (anti-static ground) toronado455 Electronics Repair 5 July 18th 06 08:44 AM
Help with PVC union... ctd4x4 Home Repair 4 April 24th 06 04:49 PM
GMB Union gastec UK diy 348 January 3rd 06 09:47 PM
The Dielectric Union chickenwing Home Repair 15 December 19th 05 09:51 PM