Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dripping water

I have a wood frame ranch in North Carolina, about 40 years old.
Lately I've been hearing water dripping where there should be no
water.

For several minutes after I shower, I hear what distinctly sounds like
water dripping in the ceiling over the vanity (not over the shower). I
haven't been able to investigate because the attic is so crammed full
of junk I couldn't begin to get to the affected area.

The arguments against it being a drip:

- There shouldn't be any pipes in the attic.

- If it was going to drip after using the shower it seems like it
would drip all the time. As it is, it only lasts a couple of
minutes

- There is no evidence of water damage. The ceiling drywall shows no
sign of a leak.

The arguments for it being a leak:

- It just *sounds* like a leak.

Any suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard Evans wrote:
[...]

Do you have an exhaust fan you use during/after shower?
Is it cold where you live?

If yes to both, the dripping is condensation leaking out of the
exhaust fan ducting.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard Evans wrote:

[...]

Cold weather? Bathroom exhaust? Mebbe the bath exhaust going through
attic forms condensation during showers and it drips afterward? Perhaps
even inside the duct if the attic is cold and the moist bathroom air
hits the cold.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:

Do you have an exhaust fan you use during/after shower?
Is it cold where you live?

If yes to both, the dripping is condensation leaking out of the
exhaust fan ducting.

It's cold today (in the forties) but North Carolina seldom gets very
cold and I can't say the drip correlates to cold spells, though I'll
keep an eye on it. Also, the sound isn't where the duct would be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard Evans wrote:

For several minutes after I shower, I hear what distinctly sounds like
water dripping in the ceiling over the vanity (not over the shower). I
haven't been able to investigate because the attic is so crammed full
of junk I couldn't begin to get to the affected area.

OK, I got into the attic and cleared a path to the affected area, but
there is no flooring in that part of the attic and the space between
the joists is filled with loose insulation. I can't see any pipes or,
for that matter, the duct from the exhaust fan. The loose insulation
also argues against a drip. If whatever is dripping is surrounded by
insulation, the water would seep into the insulation and not drip.

I'm way to heavy to try dancing around on the exposed joists. Guess
I'll have to call someone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
Speedy Jim wrote:

Do you have an exhaust fan you use during/after shower?
Is it cold where you live?

If yes to both, the dripping is condensation leaking out of the
exhaust fan ducting.

It's cold today (in the forties) but North Carolina seldom gets very
cold and I can't say the drip correlates to cold spells, though I'll
keep an eye on it. Also, the sound isn't where the duct would be.

Maybe the hot water supply pipe is tight against a stud or joist and creaking as it cools
down...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard Evans wrote:

For several minutes after I shower, I hear what distinctly sounds like
water dripping in the ceiling over the vanity (not over the shower). I
haven't been able to investigate because the attic is so crammed full
of junk I couldn't begin to get to the affected area.

OK, I got into the attic and cleared a path to the affected area, but
there is no flooring in that part of the attic and the space between
the joists is filled with loose insulation. I can't see any pipes or,
for that matter, the duct from the exhaust fan. The loose insulation
also argues against a drip. If whatever is dripping is surrounded by
insulation, the water would seep into the insulation and not drip.

I'm way to heavy to try dancing around on the exposed joists. Guess
I'll have to call someone.

Not yet. Is any of that insulation wet? Did you bend down and feel it?
Did you swish it out of the way looking for a pipe or wetness, then swish it
back into place? Go up there next time you hear the sound and look for
something then.

I agree with Rick - unless you find wetness, chances are the temperature
change is causing a structural member to make noises until it cools, or a
pipe is rubbing against a structural member under thermal expansion, then
stops when it cools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote:

Not yet. Is any of that insulation wet? Did you bend down and feel it?
Did you swish it out of the way looking for a pipe or wetness, then swish it
back into place? Go up there next time you hear the sound and look for
something then.

Like I said, I'm way too heavy to be tip toeing around on open joists,
and that's what I'd have to do to get near the sound. I don't even
trust the pull-down ladder I have to climb to get up there. Way better
to call someone.