Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable DVD Player

If this is the wrong group, please suggest an appropriate one.

I got a portable DVD player as a gift and the instructions are
terrible. It comes with three cables. One is red, yellow, and white.
The second one is red, green, and blue. The third is for S-video and
has pins.

The TV is not brand new or high tech, but it does contain jacks for
all three of those cables.

Which cable do I use to play back typical DVD movies? Thanks, Mary
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mary, 1/17/2007,11:13:04 AM, wrote:

If this is the wrong group, please suggest an appropriate one.

I got a portable DVD player as a gift and the instructions are
terrible. It comes with three cables. One is red, yellow, and white.
The second one is red, green, and blue. The third is for S-video and
has pins.

The TV is not brand new or high tech, but it does contain jacks for
all three of those cables.

Which cable do I use to play back typical DVD movies? Thanks, Mary

If your TV has S-Video inputs use that one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mary" Windswept@home wrote in message
If this is the wrong group, please suggest an appropriate one.

I got a portable DVD player as a gift and the instructions are
terrible. It comes with three cables. One is red, yellow, and white.
The second one is red, green, and blue. The third is for S-video and
has pins.

The TV is not brand new or high tech, but it does contain jacks for
all three of those cables.

Which cable do I use to play back typical DVD movies? Thanks, Mary

Use the red, white & yellow bundle. Red & white are for the audio and yellow
is for the video signal. I have no idea what the bundle with the blue plug
is for. Your instruction manual will tell you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman, 1/17/2007,11:24:20 AM, wrote:

Mary, 1/17/2007,11:13:04 AM, wrote:

If this is the wrong group, please suggest an appropriate one.

I got a portable DVD player as a gift and the instructions are
terrible. It comes with three cables. One is red, yellow, and
white. The second one is red, green, and blue. The third is for
S-video and has pins.

The TV is not brand new or high tech, but it does contain jacks for
all three of those cables.

Which cable do I use to play back typical DVD movies? Thanks, Mary

If your TV has S-Video inputs use that one.

Rethinking the colors you mentioned, the red-green-blue might be
better. Try them all and see which you prefer. The other jacks will
probably work for other devices you may want to hook up to the TV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/17/07 11:13 am Mary wrote:

If this is the wrong group, please suggest an appropriate one.

I got a portable DVD player as a gift and the instructions are
terrible. It comes with three cables. One is red, yellow, and white.
The second one is red, green, and blue. The third is for S-video and
has pins.

The TV is not brand new or high tech, but it does contain jacks for
all three of those cables.

Which cable do I use to play back typical DVD movies? Thanks, Mary

If I am not mistaken, the Red/Green/Blue cable is for "Component Video"
and should give the best picture. You will still need to connect the
White and Red for the sound.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom, 1/17/2007,11:26:01 AM, wrote:

"Mary" Windswept@home wrote in message
If this is the wrong group, please suggest an appropriate one.

I got a portable DVD player as a gift and the instructions are
terrible. It comes with three cables. One is red, yellow, and
white. The second one is red, green, and blue. The third is for
S-video and has pins.

The TV is not brand new or high tech, but it does contain jacks for
all three of those cables.

Which cable do I use to play back typical DVD movies? Thanks, Mary

Use the red, white & yellow bundle. Red & white are for the audio and
yellow is for the video signal. I have no idea what the bundle with
the blue plug is for. Your instruction manual will tell you.

http://www.extron.com/product/produc...270&subtype=56
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mary wrote:

I got a portable DVD player as a gift and the instructions are
terrible.

Just out of curiousity, who makes this DVD player?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mary" Windswept@home wrote in message
If this is the wrong group, please suggest an appropriate one.

I got a portable DVD player as a gift and the instructions are
terrible. It comes with three cables. One is red, yellow, and white.
The second one is red, green, and blue. The third is for S-video and
has pins.

The TV is not brand new or high tech, but it does contain jacks for
all three of those cables.

Which cable do I use to play back typical DVD movies? Thanks, Mary

White and Red are audio. Yellow Video. Don't forget to switch the antenna
input on the TV to play the DVD. (You should have some switch on the remote
or the TV that says "TV\Video" or "A\B")

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:13:04 GMT, Windswept@home (Mary) wrote:

If this is the wrong group, please suggest an appropriate one.

I got a portable DVD player as a gift and the instructions are
terrible. It comes with three cables. One is red, yellow, and white.
The second one is red, green, and blue. The third is for S-video and
has pins.

The TV is not brand new or high tech, but it does contain jacks for
all three of those cables.

Which cable do I use to play back typical DVD movies? Thanks, Mary

These cables allow you to connect the player to a TV. Where you
connect the S0-video cable should be obvious. The others connect to
jacks having the same color insulation.

Of the white/red/yellow cable set:

White is left channel audio.
Red is right channel audio.
Yellow is standard (NTSC) video.

S-video gives a slightly better picture (some times), but probably
isn't worth it.

The red/blue/green cable set is used for component video (YUV, YPbPr,
YCbCr). This gives a much better picture if your TV supports it.

Your DVD player may also have digital audio outputs (optical and/or
coaxial [with orange center]).

For your TV, you'd be connecting 5 cables: the red/green/blue cable
set for video, and the white/red for audio. Note that some TVs will
have 2 sets of audio jacks (one associated with each video input).
You'd need to check the TV manual or just try both (you won't hurt
anything).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mary wrote:
If this is the wrong group, please suggest an appropriate one.

I got a portable DVD player as a gift and the instructions are
terrible. It comes with three cables. One is red, yellow, and white.
The second one is red, green, and blue. The third is for S-video and
has pins.

The TV is not brand new or high tech, but it does contain jacks for
all three of those cables.

Which cable do I use to play back typical DVD movies? Thanks, Mary

Mark hit it best.

Red & White are for right & left audio
yellow -or- S-Video -or- R&G&B are for video (pick whichever works best)

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Mary wrote:
If this is the wrong group, please suggest an appropriate one.

I got a portable DVD player as a gift and the instructions are
terrible. It comes with three cables. One is red, yellow, and white.
The second one is red, green, and blue. The third is for S-video and
has pins.

The TV is not brand new or high tech, but it does contain jacks for
all three of those cables.

Which cable do I use to play back typical DVD movies? Thanks, Mary

The trick is that you still need the audio from the red yellow and
white cable, even if you use a different video. (is that the red and
white I think?)
RGB plus audio is theoretically best.
S video plus audio is secondly best.
plain video plus audio is the last place. (i.e., just the red yellow
and white).
If you can see a difference between any of them your TV is better than
mine, but that's pretty likely anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17 Jan 2007 13:26:45 -0800, "z" wrote:

Mary wrote:
If this is the wrong group, please suggest an appropriate one.

I got a portable DVD player as a gift and the instructions are
terrible. It comes with three cables. One is red, yellow, and white.
The second one is red, green, and blue. The third is for S-video and
has pins.

The TV is not brand new or high tech, but it does contain jacks for
all three of those cables.

Which cable do I use to play back typical DVD movies? Thanks, Mary

The trick is that you still need the audio from the red yellow and
white cable, even if you use a different video. (is that the red and
white I think?)

It's usually white for left, and red for right.

RGB plus audio is theoretically best.

Component video is not RGB but YUV. The "green" cable carries video
without color. Anyway, you DO get the best video through these cables.

S video plus audio is secondly best.

In reality, not much (if any) better than plain video.

plain video plus audio is the last place. (i.e., just the red yellow
and white).

Not quite, the WORST is if you use a RF modulator.

If you can see a difference between any of them your TV is better than
mine, but that's pretty likely anyway.

I see the difference on a 15-inch TV. The composite (plain) video
picture if unstable with smeared colors. The YUV video is steady with
well-defined colors.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:30:06 -0500, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

On 01/17/07 11:13 am Mary wrote:

If this is the wrong group, please suggest an appropriate one.

I got a portable DVD player as a gift and the instructions are
terrible. It comes with three cables. One is red, yellow, and white.
The second one is red, green, and blue. The third is for S-video and
has pins.

The TV is not brand new or high tech, but it does contain jacks for
all three of those cables.

Which cable do I use to play back typical DVD movies? Thanks, Mary

If I am not mistaken, the Red/Green/Blue cable is for "Component Video"
and should give the best picture. You will still need to connect the
White and Red for the sound.

Perce

This is the correct answer.
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Mark Lloyd wrote:

If you can see a difference between any of them your TV is better than
mine, but that's pretty likely anyway.

I see the difference on a 15-inch TV. The composite (plain) video
picture if unstable with smeared colors. The YUV video is steady with
well-defined colors.

I'll take another look next time I sober up. Might be a while.