David Montgomery

Default Repair CyberHome Portable DVD player

Hi,

Let me apologize in advance for not knowing ANY of the proper
terminology to describe my problem!

I have a Cyberhome CH-LDV 712 portable DVD player with a broken DC
adapter 'socket' (the recepticle on the side of the unit that the
travel DC adapter plugs into). The plug itself is a 'standard' shape
(a hollow cylinder). What broke was the little post inside the socket
that fits into the hollow cylinder of the plug.

I'd like to replace the socket, which is soldered onto a very small
circuit board.

Here is the best description I can give of the socket itself:

1) It is a small black plastic brick
2) It measures 9mm Long by 6mm Wide by 5mm High
3) The opening for the plug is 3mm in diameter, and located on the Wide
dimension (i.e. the 'side' of the brick)
4) There are three conductors soldered to the circuit board. All three
conductors are arranged in a straight line on the 'bottom' of the
brick, on the opposite end of the brick from the opening for the plug.
5) There are two small plastic posts which extend through the circuit
board from the 'bottom' of the brick on the socket end of the brick
6) The input voltage is listed as 9V = 2.2A
7) The brick itself has no markings, but the circuit board has the
following text: 'J1 LDV702 DC-POWER 15-307-260200'

My desired outcome is to find someone who sells small electronics
parts, and buy a replacement for the socket. The actual replacement of
the socket looks like something I can do pretty easily, even with my
limited skill with a soldering iron.
How do I find a replacement part?

Best Regards,

David Montgomery

Doug

Try Mouser Electronics. Catalog 617,page 612, "DGS DC Power Jacks".
www.mouser.com

David Montgomery

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the response.

I looked through the current catalog (#620), but didn't see a direct
match.

Should I unsolder the part to see if there is a part number hidden on
the bottom? (I suppose it couldn't hurt anything at this point...)
Best,

David

Doug

Hi David,

Probably no number there. You could try to match it up with something
close from the catalog. Or you could try Cyberhome (510-353-6099). They
might have a parts or service dept. By the way, is the part actually
broken or is it possibly just cracked loose from the board?

Doug

David Montgomery

Hi Doug,

The part itself is broken. The little metal pin inside the jack is
broken off (the kids put too much tension on the adapter plug while
watching a Disney film in the car).

Thanks for the Cyberhome number, I'll try it.

Best Regards,

David Montgomery

Doug

Hi Dave,

Just checked the new CES directory, and they have a different number
listed. It's 510-226-2723.

Good Luck,

Doug