Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problems with Type J Halogen bulb in overhead light

I have a ceiling fan/light combination on a dimmer switch which uses a
100-watt Type J halogen bulb. The bulb works ok when its contacts are
working, but the contacts - either of the sockets or of the bulb - are
giving a lot of trouble. Maybe the spring in the mount is not strong
enough. Whatever the reason, every few days the lamp won't work and I have
to get up there and "fiddle with" the bulb to make it work, rotate it, etc.

So what's the simplest thing to do to fix this? Should I get a new bulb?
New sockets? Both? A new spring? Should I clean the sockets? If so, how?
etc. Many thanks for any ideas!

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

From overheating the ends of the lamp and the sockets deteriorate to the
point that they will no longer conduct. I'd try to replace the fixture with
something other than halogen, but if you want to keep it, replace the
sockets

"Petrel" wrote in message
. net...
I have a ceiling fan/light combination on a dimmer switch which uses a
100-watt Type J halogen bulb. The bulb works ok when its contacts are
working, but the contacts - either of the sockets or of the bulb - are
giving a lot of trouble. Maybe the spring in the mount is not strong
enough. Whatever the reason, every few days the lamp won't work and I have
to get up there and "fiddle with" the bulb to make it work, rotate it, etc.

So what's the simplest thing to do to fix this? Should I get a new bulb?
New sockets? Both? A new spring? Should I clean the sockets? If so,
how? etc. Many thanks for any ideas!

How to power a halogen bulb? HiC Electronics Repair 10 October 12th 06 11:06 PM
MR16 Halogen bulb Kathy Home Repair 4 March 6th 06 01:49 PM
HELP: halogen vs energy-saving light bulb.... woes :S KevinGPO UK diy 32 January 16th 06 12:58 PM
HELP: halogen vs energy-saving light bulb.... woes :S m Ransley Home Repair 0 December 29th 05 02:28 PM
Halogen bulb goes on, then dims until it goes off David E. Home Ownership 2 September 20th 05 03:05 AM