Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
HiC HiC is offline

Default How to power a halogen bulb?

I asked in another thread about a halogen bulb to light a projector. A
particular DIY project site shows the use of a 12v 20w halogen bulb,
presumably because that's what the projector they have puts out to the lamp
socket. However apparently mine, which is uses 21V bulbs and I find that
when I test the socket, it actually shows about 24V.

The idea is to splice the halogen bulb on its own mouting into the wires for
the projector's lamp. However, I assume I can't run a 12v bulb on a 24v
source, if I can't find a 21v (or 24v?) 20-watt bulb, how would I go about
rigging (or finding) an independent 12v (or whatever voltage) power supply
for the halogen bulb?

Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"HiC" schreef in bericht
ink.net...
I asked in another thread about a halogen bulb to light a projector. A
particular DIY project site shows the use of a 12v 20w halogen bulb,
presumably because that's what the projector they have puts out to the
lamp
socket. However apparently mine, which is uses 21V bulbs and I find that
when I test the socket, it actually shows about 24V.

The idea is to splice the halogen bulb on its own mouting into the wires
for
the projector's lamp. However, I assume I can't run a 12v bulb on a 24v
source, if I can't find a 21v (or 24v?) 20-watt bulb, how would I go about
rigging (or finding) an independent 12v (or whatever voltage) power supply
for the halogen bulb?

Thanks

Your story is confusing. As for the question, it can be answered straight
forward: Every 12V/20W halagen transformer can be used to power a 12V/20W
halogen bulb. But... Every halogen bulb is not a projector bulb. Bulbs for
slide projectors have a special construction and you will get a disturbed
picture when you use an ordinary halogen instead. If you're talking about
another projector so *what* projector? Where can we find the site you're
talking about? What do you really want to achive?

petrus bitbyter

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"HiC" wrote in message
ink.net...

I asked in another thread about a halogen bulb to light a projector. A
particular DIY project site shows the use of a 12v 20w halogen bulb,
presumably because that's what the projector they have puts out to the
lamp
socket. However apparently mine, which is uses 21V bulbs and I find that
when I test the socket, it actually shows about 24V.

21 under load. It'd have a very short life at 24.

The idea is to splice the halogen bulb on its own mouting into the wires
for
the projector's lamp. However, I assume I can't run a 12v bulb on a 24v
source, if I can't find a 21v (or 24v?) 20-watt bulb, how would I go about
rigging (or finding) an independent 12v (or whatever voltage) power supply
for the halogen bulb?

24 should be available.
http://www.1000bulbs.com/products.ph...en-Light-Bulbs

Don't screw with the power supply.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
HiC HiC is offline

"petrus bitbyter" wrote in message
l.nl...
If you're talking about
another projector so *what* projector? Where can we find the site you're
talking about? What do you really want to achive?

http://homepage.mac.com/onsuper8/diy...rojection.html

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
HiC HiC is offline

"HiC" wrote in message
ink.net...

"petrus bitbyter" wrote in

message
l.nl...
If you're talking about
another projector so *what* projector? Where can we find the site you're
talking about? What do you really want to achive?

http://homepage.mac.com/onsuper8/diy...rojection.html

Look about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

HiC wrote:
I asked in another thread about a halogen bulb to light a projector. A
particular DIY project site shows the use of a 12v 20w halogen bulb,
presumably because that's what the projector they have puts out to the lamp
socket. However apparently mine, which is uses 21V bulbs and I find that
when I test the socket, it actually shows about 24V.

The idea is to splice the halogen bulb on its own mouting into the wires for
the projector's lamp. However, I assume I can't run a 12v bulb on a 24v
source, if I can't find a 21v (or 24v?) 20-watt bulb, how would I go about
rigging (or finding) an independent 12v (or whatever voltage) power supply
for the halogen bulb?

Thanks

You can get big 12V power packs for LV garden lights and halogen track
lighting is popular now, small switchmode converters are available to
run 12V halogen lamps, just don't try running non-resistive loads off
them, they put out a nasty waveform which only appears to be 12V to an
incandescent lamp.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"HiC" wrote in message
ink.net...

http://homepage.mac.com/onsuper8/diy...rojection.html

I have a tabletop folding screen I bought 30 years ago - about 8" * 10". My
plan is to project on that and use a camcorder to capture the film to video.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
HiC HiC is offline

"James Sweet" wrote in message

You can get big 12V power packs for LV garden lights and halogen track
lighting is popular now, small switchmode converters are available to
run 12V halogen lamps, just don't try running non-resistive loads off
them, they put out a nasty waveform which only appears to be 12V to an
incandescent lamp.

Can you give a link to something like what you're talking about so I have a
better idea what to look for?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

HiC wrote:
"James Sweet" wrote in message

You can get big 12V power packs for LV garden lights and halogen track
lighting is popular now, small switchmode converters are available to
run 12V halogen lamps, just don't try running non-resistive loads off
them, they put out a nasty waveform which only appears to be 12V to an
incandescent lamp.

Can you give a link to something like what you're talking about so I have a
better idea what to look for?

Just go to Home Depot, look in the garden lighting section or the track
lighting section. You probably want something like this
http://www.homelightingusa.com/transformers.html
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

HiC wrote:
Can you give a link to something like what you're talking about so I

have a
better idea what to look for?

Just go to Home Depot, look in the garden lighting section or the track
lighting section. You probably want something like this
http://www.homelightingusa.com/transformers.html

Interesting.

Something like this would power one of these 12v 20w halogen mini-bulbs?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

HiC wrote:

Can you give a link to something like what you're talking about so I

have a

better idea what to look for?

Just go to Home Depot, look in the garden lighting section or the track
lighting section. You probably want something like this
http://www.homelightingusa.com/transformers.html

Interesting.

Something like this would power one of these 12v 20w halogen mini-bulbs?

Yes, that's exactly what they're designed for.