Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default How to power a halogen bulb?

HiC wrote:
I asked in another thread about a halogen bulb to light a projector. A
particular DIY project site shows the use of a 12v 20w halogen bulb,
presumably because that's what the projector they have puts out to the lamp
socket. However apparently mine, which is uses 21V bulbs and I find that
when I test the socket, it actually shows about 24V.

The idea is to splice the halogen bulb on its own mouting into the wires for
the projector's lamp. However, I assume I can't run a 12v bulb on a 24v
source, if I can't find a 21v (or 24v?) 20-watt bulb, how would I go about
rigging (or finding) an independent 12v (or whatever voltage) power supply
for the halogen bulb?

Thanks

You can get big 12V power packs for LV garden lights and halogen track
lighting is popular now, small switchmode converters are available to
run 12V halogen lamps, just don't try running non-resistive loads off
them, they put out a nasty waveform which only appears to be 12V to an
incandescent lamp.