Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
petrus bitbyter petrus bitbyter is offline

Default How to power a halogen bulb?

"HiC" schreef in bericht
ink.net...
I asked in another thread about a halogen bulb to light a projector. A
particular DIY project site shows the use of a 12v 20w halogen bulb,
presumably because that's what the projector they have puts out to the
lamp
socket. However apparently mine, which is uses 21V bulbs and I find that
when I test the socket, it actually shows about 24V.

The idea is to splice the halogen bulb on its own mouting into the wires
for
the projector's lamp. However, I assume I can't run a 12v bulb on a 24v
source, if I can't find a 21v (or 24v?) 20-watt bulb, how would I go about
rigging (or finding) an independent 12v (or whatever voltage) power supply
for the halogen bulb?

Thanks

Your story is confusing. As for the question, it can be answered straight
forward: Every 12V/20W halagen transformer can be used to power a 12V/20W
halogen bulb. But... Every halogen bulb is not a projector bulb. Bulbs for
slide projectors have a special construction and you will get a disturbed
picture when you use an ordinary halogen instead. If you're talking about
another projector so *what* projector? Where can we find the site you're
talking about? What do you really want to achive?

petrus bitbyter