Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which way to roof a valley is better.?

I am going to roof my house soon and would like to know why some valleys
are cut valleys and some are woven. I live in Texas and most every house I
see has woven valleys. I lived in another state and most were cut valleys.
Is there a specific reason for this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

mayojcm2003 wrote:
I am going to roof my house soon and would like to know why some
valleys are cut valleys and some are woven. I live in Texas and most
every house I see has woven valleys. I lived in another state and
most were cut valleys. Is there a specific reason for this?

The best one is the one done right. It is the roofer who makes the
difference.

Both work equally well when properly installed and both fail nicely when
not.

For my money the woven look a lot better.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

mayojcm2003 wrote:
I am going to roof my house soon and would like to know why some valleys
are cut valleys and some are woven. I live in Texas and most every house I
see has woven valleys. I lived in another state and most were cut valleys.
Is there a specific reason for this?

I always thought that woven were subjected to ice dams that could cause
them to leak where continued thawing and freezing pushes up shingles.
I would assume that in a warm climate, you would not need the valleys.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
mayojcm2003 wrote:
I am going to roof my house soon and would like to know why some
valleys are cut valleys and some are woven. I live in Texas and most
every house I see has woven valleys. I lived in another state and
most were cut valleys. Is there a specific reason for this?

I always thought that woven were subjected to ice dams that could
cause them to leak where continued thawing and freezing pushes up
shingles. I would assume that in a warm climate, you would not need
the valleys. Frank

We get plenty of freeze thaws and lots of snow, but I, nor anyone else I
know has had any problem with the woven valleys. It seems to be as much of
a style thing and more popular in some areas than others as anything else.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Frank wrote:
mayojcm2003 wrote:
I am going to roof my house soon and would like to know why some
valleys are cut valleys and some are woven. I live in Texas and most
every house I see has woven valleys. I lived in another state and
most were cut valleys. Is there a specific reason for this?

I always thought that woven were subjected to ice dams that could
cause them to leak where continued thawing and freezing pushes up
shingles. I would assume that in a warm climate, you would not need
the valleys. Frank

We get plenty of freeze thaws and lots of snow, but I, nor anyone else I
know has had any problem with the woven valleys. It seems to be as much of
a style thing and more popular in some areas than others as anything else.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Just from a practical sstandpoint, it is faster to lay a 'weave' than
an open valley.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
mayojcm2003 wrote:
I am going to roof my house soon and would like to know why some
valleys are cut valleys and some are woven. I live in Texas and most
every house I see has woven valleys. I lived in another state and
most were cut valleys. Is there a specific reason for this?

The best one is the one done right. It is the roofer who makes the
difference.

Both work equally well when properly installed and both fail nicely when
not.

For my money the woven look a lot better.

I agree with Mr. Meehan. On the roofing crew I was on we always used
the cut valleys. From my perspective the very wide flashing used would
be unlikely to leak and is fast and easy to install. It allows the
roofer to tear off and complete one entire plane of the roof while
leaving the other plane untouched. This is an advantage in threatening
weather or on larger houses. I also suspect it's more durable since
the roofing materials lie completely flat on the deck unlike the weave.

Woven shingles are rare where I am in Minnesota and I suspect there are
reasons other that preference for this. Our weather is constantly
changing and can include snow, ice, and major thunderstorms. The woven
is a nice look though and might be cheaper since shingles are cheaper
than flashing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 21:37:06 -0600, "mayojcm2003"
wrote:

I am going to roof my house soon and would like to know why some valleys
are cut valleys and some are woven. I live in Texas and most every house I
see has woven valleys. I lived in another state and most were cut valleys.
Is there a specific reason for this?

Not a roofer, but am a home owner, so this is just personal
preference.

I would have the roofer lay down an ice shield (rubberized self
sealing adheasive layer), and then go for the cut valley with 'w'
flashing.

I have a fear that if water or snow is given a enough time, it will
find a way into the house. So a smooth valley will give least amount
of time for snow and water to sit there.

Just a guess....

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mayojcm2003" writes:

I am going to roof my house soon and would like to know why some valleys
are cut valleys and some are woven. I live in Texas and most every house I
see has woven valleys. I lived in another state and most were cut valleys.
Is there a specific reason for this?

Google for: roofing valley woven

The sites I looked at said there's little difference in terms of
durability. Woven has some small disadvantages on flatter roofs
and with ice dams.

I had my roof redone a few years ago.
I used to have a cut valley with aluminum.
One of the reasons I had to have the reroofing done
was that there were pinholes in the aluminum.
I suppose acid rain did it's thing.

I choose woven first based on appearance and second to avoid
exposed aluminum as it seemed less durable than the shingles.

Bottom line, I don't think there is a big difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mayojcm2003" wrote in message
news:e1f4e578ee882a93e16548b235aa1626@homerepairli ve.com...
|I am going to roof my house soon and would like to know why some
valleys
| are cut valleys and some are woven. I live in Texas and most every
house I
| see has woven valleys. I lived in another state and most were cut
valleys.
| Is there a specific reason for this?

seeing how you live in texas
I would recommend a "western" cut shingle valley.

there is no difference
it is a personal preference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawrence wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
mayojcm2003 wrote:
[...]

snip

Good point on the re-roof thing.

Can't agree on the 'faster'. True the flashing goes on fast but then
you have to cut at an angle every shingle that reaches the valley and
it has to be exact or will look crappy. Woven is a straight cut,
doesn't need to be exact and, in many cases, no cut at all is needed on
the last shingle per row.

I doubt that there is much difference cost wise as woven requires more
shingles and the flashing while more expensive is only a minor cost of
the overall job.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
Can't agree on the 'faster'. True the flashing goes on fast but then
you have to cut at an angle every shingle that reaches the valley and
it has to be exact or will look crappy. Woven is a straight cut,
doesn't need to be exact and, in many cases, no cut at all is needed on
the last shingle per row.

On our crew we let the shingles at the valley run long. Then you snap
a line and cut it all in one pass to look right. The foreman gets to
do that job since he is worried about how it will look. Some times he
just uses a hook blade utility knife sometimes a pair of snips.
anyhow, so long as you stay on the line it will look good just don't
score the flashing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am going to roof my house soon and would like to know why some valleys
are cut valleys and some are woven. I live in Texas and most every house I
see has woven valleys. I lived in another state and most were cut valleys.
Is there a specific reason for this?

Personal experience (not a roofer, but my family does its own roofs):

We always did 'open' valleys, where about 1' of rolled roofing was
exposed in the valley. Underneath, we put sheet metal over the felt,
then 18" rolled roofing (face down), then 36" 90# roofing face up, then
shingles up to a cut line.

I did my roof that way about 15 years ago. The valleys all failed in
10-12 years, long before the shingles. It was a PITA to re-do them
(woven now, for sure). Asking around, the story I got was that this was
a general problem - that rolled roofing does not hold up to sun as well
as shingles, and that woven was the recommended way to go. Looking at
other roofs around here, I see the same thing - (open) valleys failed,
shingles OK.

These are all relatively steep (40+ deg) roofs, in Syracuse NY.

George
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I never heard of doing it that way and can't see any benefit to it.
Also I wouldn't call it an 'open' valley. It also sounds like PITA to
lay it originally.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I thought "open valley" meant exposed metal flashing.
What's the point of the roll-roofing?