Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Debris clogging roof valley

My house has a steep pitch, concrete tile roof with many intersecting
interior valleys. During heavy storms, fresh debris (from redwood
trees) collects in the valleys and eventually impedes the water flow
down the flashing. I've done my best to clear out the "debirs dams,"
but every major storm is sure to create a new batch.

Ultimately, I am trying to come up with some method to prevent the
debris from blocking the water flow. One idea is to install an
exterior flashing valley that might also help the small branches slide
down the roof. However, I'm not sure how this can be secured to
concrete tile. A variation of this idea is to install a series of
flashing "steps" on each set of intersecting tiles creating a flashing
waterfall down the valley. And, I have thought of a seasonal solution
that would involve laying some sort of light pipe along the valley to
keep debris from catching in the intersecting tiles. This might not
look very elegant, and I have no idea if it would be effective.

Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Geoff Rilling" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hi Geoff,

If this isn't causing any problems such as breaching the water
repellness of your roof, then I say leave it alone. Posting a URL with
photos would certainly help.

Jimi

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

I fear your roof problem may require the services of an arborist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 31 Oct 2006 20:45:21 -0800, "Geoff Rilling"
wrote:

[...]

In the long run, the solution is an open sheetmetal valley,
(stainless or copper) with no tiles to snag on.
In the short and medium term, I think you need
some sort of tool to mechanically clear the troughs.

Maybe PVC pipe with a "T" at the end?