Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Angie's list

Anyone used this list? It's about $50 a year for membership.

http://www.angieslist.com/AngiesList/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
- Anyone used this list? It's about $50 a year for membership.
-
- http://www.angieslist.com/AngiesList/

Nice web site tour, but here's the issiue I see.

Contractors don't get on the list until a member submits a comment
about them. Now let me quote something from the FAQ:

Q - Why would I use Angie's List when I can just ask my neighbors for
recommendations?

A - How long would it take you to find 25 people who have all used the
same contractor and then conduct an in depth interview with them about
their service experience? Spend hours on the phone, or just log onto
Angie's List and find trustworthy contractors with a proven track
record in minutes.

OK, for this to true, I would have to assume that there are actually 25
people in my city who are not only Angie's List members, but have also
used the same contractor AND submitted a review of that contractor.
Somehow, I'm just not confident that there are enough members in my
community to make a $57 membership worth the money. They do say "Annual
membership dues are backed by our 110% money back, satisfaction
guarantee" so I guess you could be disatisfied real soon after you join
if you really wanted to check it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I've been contacted by folks using Angie's list several times. Apparently
Angie's list contacts people in an area they plan to service, to set up a
data base first, then solicit their product, I believe to people new to the
area. I've questioned the folks that called me, about paying for the service
and they all said that they were new to the area, and once they found some
decent trades people, they'll give up the service

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Anyone used this list? It's about $50 a year for membership.

http://www.angieslist.com/AngiesList/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:22:14 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Anyone used this list? It's about $50 a year for membership.

http://www.angieslist.com/AngiesList/

I've been a member in NE OH for just over a year. I joined when we
decided to move, and found it very helpful for finding all sorts of
folks:

Home inspector, pest inspector, movers, well company, carpet cleaner,
HVAC service, Tree service, auto repair and body shop.

The reports vary in quality as you would expect. Some folks just say
things like "they did a good job trimming my trees". Other folks take
the time to describe the exact work performed, describe the outcome,
list any issues, note whether they were prompt for their appointment
and returning phone calls, etc. I've found with a little common sense
reading of the reports, you can get a pretty good read on a place
quickly.

As to number of reports per company, that varies too. Some have just
one or two, but the larger firms often have 50 or 100 or more. Most
have at least a few. Angie's list ages the reports, so newer reports
have a little more weight in the ranking.

I've been completely happy with the folks I've hired after relying on
the list.

The way I look at it, if it saves me only 1 hour of aggravation a
*year*, it's worth it.

Oh, and yes, I do take the time to enter complete reports on the folks
I've used from the list.

HTH,

Paul F.

you know what to leave out

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do like we do, get 3-4 people to go in on it and share it. As long as
you don't call them (which you can, never understood why) they won't
know the difference.

If they'd get rid of the phone service - which I think is just for the
seniors who can't work the computers - they could cut their prices.
$50 is a bit much for a website.

Even if you have to pay i all yourself, if you're faced with something
like a home remodel it is worth it. I go in and look at the "A" rated
companies that have several reports and have seldom been disappointed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sarahdann" wrote

fourth posting of the same thing deleted ............

Could you post that four more times for those who didn't catch it?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"sarahdann" wrote

fourth posting of the same thing deleted ............

Could you post that four more times for those who didn't catch it?

Steve

sarah is dumb enough to answer questions that are over 3 years old.

And passed the non-intelligence test to be able to post on homeowners hub.

Not surprising that s/he is also obsessive-compulsive.
And stutters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bud-- wrote in
:

Steve B wrote:
"sarahdann" wrote

fourth posting of the same thing deleted ............

Could you post that four more times for those who didn't catch it?

Steve

sarah is dumb enough to answer questions that are over 3 years old.

And passed the non-intelligence test to be able to post on homeowners
hub.

Not surprising that s/he is also obsessive-compulsive.
And stutters.

also obsessive-compulsive.

And stutters.

Careful, someone might get Ohfeeended and not be able to function for
days, weeks, months. Then they will need counseling for OCD, Offended
Crock Disorder.