Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing old lockset

I have an old front door with a lockset that I can't for the life of me
get out.

It's an old Schlage - could date back 15 years or even more. It has the
key-in-knob lock.

The inside knob came off easily enough. But the outside knob will not
come off.

There's some sort of interlock between the latch (the part that engages
the door frame) and the square shaft that joins the knobs.

There's no apparent release mechanism, no visible screws, pins, etc.
holding it together.

The latch part will come out about 1/8" before it stops.

The outside knob will come out about 3/16" before it stops.

And the guts that the inside knob was attached to come out about 3/16"
before they stop.

After that it all seems to hit some kind of pin/interlock and nothing
will come out any further.

I could drill it out, but that would create a huge mess of filings. I'd
rather find a way to get it out sanely....

--Yan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 12:32:09 -0800, CptDondo
wrote:

[...]

I think I know what you have.
Under the inside knob is the decorative round plate (the part against
the door itself). You need to pop off that tin plate. Under it are
the screws that hold the locket to the door. That plate is just press
fit (by hand) onto the lockset. See if you can pry that off. Use a
screwdriver or even a butter knife. Pry against the door and behind
that plate. Use a small piece of cardboard against the door to
prevent damaging the wood.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

Remove inside knob (you have already done that)
There is thin shell "rose" that is covering up the
through-the-door screws that hold the two halves together. You do
not need to remove the outside handle. Once you remove the
through bolts, the inside and outside pieces come right off.
There are usually 2 screws holding the strike in the edge of the
door. Once those screws are out it should pull out. Sometimes
all of the above can be compounded by multiple layers of paint,
etc.

The "rose" can be difficult to pop off. Look around the
perimeter, there should be a very small slot where it touches the
door that can allow you to use a very small screwdriver to pop it
off.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"CptDondo" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

CptDondo wrote:
[...]

The outside knob does not come off. It is permantly attached to the rest of
the mechanism. When you remove the outside knob, all the guts of the lock
come with it. Therefore, figure out what's holding the main mechanical parts
to the door.

Alternate method of drilling lockset holes in exterior insulated steel door Martik Home Repair 4 July 19th 06 06:52 PM
Problem with Schlage lockset boson Home Repair 4 January 2nd 06 12:09 AM
removing Seamus Mc Loughlin UK diy 2 November 11th 05 11:17 AM
Removing tiles wattie UK diy 5 April 29th 05 12:37 PM
Removing Caulk PC Woodworking 2 August 2nd 03 04:29 PM