Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.linux.advocacy
boson

Default Problem with Schlage lockset

STOP!!
Do NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THIS YOURSELF!!

You will most likely cause damage to the locksets requiring new
hardware to be installed.

Lock repair is a highly skilled trade that requires the services of a
skilled, educated locksmithing professional.

You can look here to find a pro in your are that will more than likely
be able to assist you.

http://www.aloa.org/

Again, don't try playing with this stuff yourself. It's just too
complex for the average Joe to fool with.

HTH

Nosmo King wrote:
Hi. I have recently developed a problem with a couple of Schlage locksets on
my external doors. The spring loaded latch will not automatically retract
when the door is being closed. I have taken it apart and do not see anything
obviously wrong.

My door is equipped with a separate double cylinder deadbolt and the
residential knob/lever set. The round keyed knob is on the outside, and the
lever handle is on the inside. The lever handle is not keyed, but has the
small piece you turn to lock/unlock the door.

When you try to close the door, the latch piece does not retract and the door
will not close. You have to turn the knob/lever to get the latch to retract,
in order to close the door. ( If you try to push the latch piece manually, it
will not retract)

Any suggestions for troubleshooting ?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Travis Jordan

boson wrote:
Lock repair is a highly skilled trade that requires the services of a
skilled, educated locksmithing professional.

What a load of crap.

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Peter Köhlmann

The racist, liar and software thief frank boson (flatfish) nymshifted:

snip flatfish droppings

You lately nymshifted to

Abbie Diaz, Aftab Singh, Allen Cusimano, Allison Juergans, allison_hunt1969,
Anna Banger, anonymous, Archie, Archie Moss Bunker, Archie Watermann, Baba
Booey, Babu Singh, Bill Thomson, bill.gates.loves.me, bison, Bjarne Jensen,
BklynBoy, bonobo magilla, Boyce Mabri, Buster, Charles LeGrand, Charlie,
Choppers McGee, Chris Thomas, Christine Abernathy, Claire Lynn, Clippy,
Collie Entragion, Colon Singh, common cold, Connie Hines, Corrie, Corrie
Titlaand, Curtis Wilson, dbx_boy, Deadpenguin, Debbie, Devon Dawson,
dismoqualifetch, Donn Carlsbad, Dr.Long John Jones, Elliot Zimmermann,
Elwin Winters, Emmanuel Arias, Fawn Lebowitz, flatfish+++, foamy, frank
boson, Franz Klammer, Fred Simmons, gabriele howorth, Gary Stewart,
GayClod, George Littlefield, Gilbert, Gilbert Hochaim, gilligan, Greg
Finnigan, Greg Laplante, Hans Kimm, Harry Hilton, Harvey Fogel, Heather,
Heather69, Heather Trax, Heddy Seafield, hepcat, Hugh Himless, Ishmeal
Hafizi, itchy balls, Ivan Mctavish, IvanaB, Jeff Szarka, Joe Josephson,
John, John Shelton, Jorge Jorgensen, Jose Lopez, juke_joint, kaptain kaput,
Karel Olish, Karla Snodgress, kathy_krantz, Kendra, Kenny Dugan, Kent
Dorfman, Kyle Cadet, L Didio, Laura Shillingford, Le Farter, Le Yammy, Les
Turner, Leslie Bassman, Lilly, Lindy, Lisa Shavas, Lisa Cottmann, Lois
Hunt, Long, long_tong_ling, Lukumi Babalu Aye, Luna Lane, Major Mynor,
McSwain, Mogumbo, Moses, Mooshoo Bong Singh, ,
nate_mcspook, okto_pussy, OSS KDE User, Paddy McCrockett, Patricia, Patty
Poppins, Peter Gluckman, Peter Kohlmann, Phillip Cornwall, phoung, phoung
quoak, pickle_pete, **** Clam, Poopy Pants McGee, Quimby, Quinton Magee,
Quizno Backer, Rich, Richard P. Johnson, Richie, Richie O'Toole, Robert
Strunk, rothstein_ivan, Sally Vadi, Sammy, Sammy Whalen, Saul Goldblatt,
Schlomo Smykowski, Sharon Cackle, Sharon Hubbasland, Sean, Sean Fitzhenry,
Sean Macpherson, Sewer Rat, sewer_clown, Sherlock Holmes , Simon, sista
sledgehammer, slacker.mcspritze, Spammy_Davis, spanny_davis, Stephan
Simonsen, Stephanie Mannerz, Stephen, Stephen Olsen, Stephen Townshend,
SuckyB, SunnyB, Susan Bladder, Susan Lapinski, Susan Wong, Suzie Wong,
Swampee, Ted Bennington, The Beaver, Thorsten, Timmy Luncford , Toby Rastus
Roosovelt III, Tomas Bicsak, Tori, Tori Wassermann, Trace Dennison, Tracee,
Traci, trailerpark, Trina Swallows, Trolly, Trudi Simpkins, Tryxie Lustern,
Vince Fontain, Vladimir Yepifano, Walter Bubniak, Wang Mycock, Wasser,
Wendy Duzz, Whizzer, Wilbur J, Willy Wong, Winnie Septos, Wobbles and
zyklon_C.
Plus many, many, many more.
--
My other computer is your windows box

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Luis

I agree 100 percent Frank! I spent almost a year with my Foley Belsaw
corpse before I felt that I had enough nowledge to even scrach the
serface of what is needed for day two day lock servicing in the feeld.
I feel now with my Foley traning, that I am well equippped to work in
the feeld and start earning back some of the $20,000 I've invested in
the biziness.
I got luck and bought an entire inventory, US Lock stuff, no junk! from
a guy going out of business. He had no professional credentials like I
got from Foley and he mostly drilled locks so I suppoe that is why he
fayled.
I can not say enouf about the Foley training.
And I agree that a laypeople wurking on a locset is reely not a good
thing.
Good luck LUIS

Ayon kay boson:

Nosmo King wrote:
Hi. I have recently developed a problem with a couple of Schlage locksets on
my external doors. The spring loaded latch will not automatically retract
when the door is being closed. I have taken it apart and do not see anything
obviously wrong.

My door is equipped with a separate double cylinder deadbolt and the
residential knob/lever set. The round keyed knob is on the outside, and the
lever handle is on the inside. The lever handle is not keyed, but has the
small piece you turn to lock/unlock the door.

When you try to close the door, the latch piece does not retract and the door
will not close. You have to turn the knob/lever to get the latch to retract,
in order to close the door. ( If you try to push the latch piece manually, it
will not retract)

Any suggestions for troubleshooting ?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
Evan

"Luis" wrote in message:

I agree 100 percent Frank! I spent almost a year with my
Foley Belsaw course before I felt that I had enough knowledge
to even scratch the surface of what is needed for day-to-day
lock servicing in the field. I feel now with my Foley traning, that
I am well equippped to work in the field and start earning back
some of the $20,000 I've invested in the business. I got lucky
and bought an entire inventory, US Lock stuff, no junk! from a
guy going out of business. He had no professional credentials
like I got from Foley and he mostly drilled locks so I suppose
that is why he failed. I can not say enough about the Foley
training. And I agree that a laypeople working on a lockset
is really not a good thing.
Good luck LUIS

First off -- I suggest that you quickly learn how to communicate
in writing, or your business will fail quickly... A business is only
truly able to achieve success when it can land major clients and
have "steady" business... Unless you want to be a bottom feeder
and go from car opening to car opening or rekey nothing other
than residential locks...

Secondly -- the Foley Belsaw course and others like it that are
correspondence courses do nothing than teach you the absolute
basics on residential locks and some automotive... There are
only a small handful of "real" locksmithing schools that can
actually teach you more than the minimum you need to become
"certified" -- earning a certificate does not in and of itself
magically become a "professional credential"... You must work
to demonstrate your knowledge and obtain industry recognition
through the ALOA by passing its tests that ensure a standard
level of professional knowledge before certification... It would
not hurt to also become "factory certified" by as many hardware
manufacturers as you possibly can... Once you have several of
those under your belt, you have BEGUN to build your
"professional credentials" and can be taken seriously...

That is unless your goal is to play at locksmithing only
cutting keys, opening car doors, and rekeying houses until
you figure out there is much more to locksmithing than
you thought there was...