Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recessed Lights in Contact with Insulation Paper

I did not know that I was suppose to remove the paper on the insulation
around recessed lights. I have the IC type which are allowed to
contact insulation. I have been reading on other posts that you are
to remove the paper 3" around the can light. I just had my addition
drywalled. Should I cut into the drywall and romove the paper? How
serious is it to leave it in contact, fire hazard?

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

Small additional note. It is the Owens Corning pink insulation that I
am referring to that has the paper vapor barrier on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Typical instructions for IC housings say they can be in contact with
insulation. I've never seen instructions that mention removing paper from
insulation. Look up the make and model of you framing kit, and see what that
manufacturer specs

"PeleSajan" wrote in message
ups.com...
I did not know that I was suppose to remove the paper on the insulation
around recessed lights. I have the IC type which are allowed to
contact insulation. I have been reading on other posts that you are
to remove the paper 3" around the can light. I just had my addition
drywalled. Should I cut into the drywall and romove the paper? How
serious is it to leave it in contact, fire hazard?

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Jan 2007 19:41:02 -0800, "PeleSajan"
wrote:

I did not know that I was suppose to remove the paper on the insulation
around recessed lights. I have the IC type which are allowed to
contact insulation. I have been reading on other posts that you are
to remove the paper 3" around the can light. I just had my addition
drywalled. Should I cut into the drywall and romove the paper? How
serious is it to leave it in contact, fire hazard?

John

If you want to really find out what the manufacturer says, contact
them. Many have good email response services to help customers use
their products safely.

Good luck,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

PeleSajan wrote:

I did not know that I was suppose to remove the paper on the insulation
around recessed lights. I have the IC type which are allowed to
contact insulation. I have been reading on other posts that you are
to remove the paper 3" around the can light. I just had my addition
drywalled. Should I cut into the drywall and romove the paper? How
serious is it to leave it in contact, fire hazard?

John

The 3" rule is for non-IC lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fixture makers don't specify anything about the paper/vapor barrior and
I've never seen an installer remove the paper.

That said there is a very minor issue:
Because the IC fixture is metal enclosed it is a vapor barrior.
Therefore there would be an enclosed area between the fixture and the
insulation. Technically it is not a good idea to have such an area of
trapped air. Practially it is so small an not really sealed that nobody
but a few perfectionists worry about it.

Richard Reid, LC

Bob (but not THAT Bob) wrote:
PeleSajan wrote:

I did not know that I was suppose to remove the paper on the insulation
around recessed lights. I have the IC type which are allowed to
contact insulation. I have been reading on other posts that you are
to remove the paper 3" around the can light. I just had my addition
drywalled. Should I cut into the drywall and romove the paper? How
serious is it to leave it in contact, fire hazard?

John

The 3" rule is for non-IC lights.

Recessed Lights to Pendant Lights Jim Jacobs Home Repair 3 April 15th 06 10:18 PM
Recessed Lights Dave Combs Home Repair 6 March 23rd 06 07:22 PM
ConTact paper cwelch8 Home Repair 2 November 27th 05 07:18 PM
Recessed Lights a12vman Home Repair 3 March 25th 05 10:29 PM
how many recessed lights to a circuit? SaM Home Repair 3 August 29th 04 04:28 PM