Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much weight can a pine floor withstand?

Can a pine floor stand up to having a ping pong table weighing 170 pounds
rolled across it repeatedly over time, or is the pine so soft that
something with that weight would leave indentations on the floor? My wife
and I recently purchased a house with a pine floor which had quite a number
of indentations and we want to make sure we don't repeat that problem now
that we've had the floor sanded down to get rid of those... Thanks for
your advice.

RL
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Amateur" wrote in message
news:4c8de6ddecb680bfbcce9ea4c4e19349@homerepairli ve.com...
Can a pine floor stand up to having a ping pong table weighing 170 pounds
rolled across it repeatedly over time, or is the pine so soft that
something with that weight would leave indentations on the floor? My wife
and I recently purchased a house with a pine floor which had quite a
number
of indentations and we want to make sure we don't repeat that problem now
that we've had the floor sanded down to get rid of those... Thanks for
your advice.

Weight is not the problem, distribution is. Chances are, you or some of your
friends are 170 or more and don't make dents. You want glides or casters
with a large area to support and distribute the weight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 21:20:28 -0600, "Amateur"
wrote:

Can a pine floor stand up to having a ping pong table weighing 170 pounds
rolled across it repeatedly over time, or is the pine so soft that
something with that weight would leave indentations on the floor? My wife
and I recently purchased a house with a pine floor which had quite a number
of indentations and we want to make sure we don't repeat that problem now
that we've had the floor sanded down to get rid of those... Thanks for
your advice.

Pine is about the most variable wood you can make a floor out of.
slow-grown yellow pine can be harder than oak. But if the floor
had dents in it before, then what you've got is probably fairly
soft. Which means it's going to dent. Get used to that, or
start budgeting for new flooring. In the meantime, replaceing
the wheels on the table with bigger ones (pnuematic, if you can
make them fit) Will help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Amateur wrote:

Can a pine floor stand up to having a ping pong table weighing 170 pounds
rolled across it repeatedly over time, or is the pine so soft that
something with that weight would leave indentations on the floor?

Hi Bob,

I see from your site that a white pine floor has a Janka hardness of 380
pounds, ie it deforms 0.222" under about 380/(Pi(0.444/2)^2) = 2500 psi.

How would we figure the min wheel diameter for a 170 pound pingpong
table, if we don't want to score the floor when we move it around
on 4 wheels?

At 32.5 Pounds per wheel you don't have much to worry about if you just
get rubber wheeled casters which are softer than pine and will deform
before the wood floor does. For example

http://www.jwwinco.com/products/sect...vpa/index.html

Regards,

Bob Formisano, AIA