Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default How much weight can a pine floor withstand?

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 21:20:28 -0600, "Amateur"
wrote:

Can a pine floor stand up to having a ping pong table weighing 170 pounds
rolled across it repeatedly over time, or is the pine so soft that
something with that weight would leave indentations on the floor? My wife
and I recently purchased a house with a pine floor which had quite a number
of indentations and we want to make sure we don't repeat that problem now
that we've had the floor sanded down to get rid of those... Thanks for
your advice.

Pine is about the most variable wood you can make a floor out of.
slow-grown yellow pine can be harder than oak. But if the floor
had dents in it before, then what you've got is probably fairly
soft. Which means it's going to dent. Get used to that, or
start budgeting for new flooring. In the meantime, replaceing
the wheels on the table with bigger ones (pnuematic, if you can
make them fit) Will help.