Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Re-breaking arm

Several years, my wife broke an arm off a porcelain statue.

She tried to repair the statue by gluing the two pieces but the mating
surfaces didn't align correctly so now there an ugly gap.

How can I remove the glue -- I don't know if she used Crazy Glue or
another type of glue -- sand down each mating surface and re-glue the
two pieces?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gary" writes:

Several years, my wife broke an arm off a porcelain statue.

She tried to repair the statue by gluing the two pieces but the mating
surfaces didn't align correctly so now there an ugly gap.

How can I remove the glue -- I don't know if she used Crazy Glue or
another type of glue -- sand down each mating surface and re-glue the
two pieces?

If it was superglue, they sell a superglue solvent.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 11:46 pm, "gary" wrote:
Several years, my wife broke an arm off a porcelain statue.

She tried to repair the statue by gluing the two pieces but the mating
surfaces didn't align correctly so now there an ugly gap.

How can I remove the glue -- I don't know if she used Crazy Glue or
another type of glue -- sand down each mating surface and re-glue the
two pieces?

Nail polish remover, the standard stuff, has acetone and is a
cyanoacrylate solvent. You definitely don't want to sand the
porcelain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Then how can I smooth the surfaces so they'll match evenly?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The "ugly gap" is because the broken ends of the arm are uneven. How
can I smooth the surfaces so they'll match evenly?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
The "ugly gap" is because the broken ends of the arm are uneven. How
can I smooth the surfaces so they'll match evenly?

If epoxy was used, heating it will soften the glue. If you remove ALL
the glue, the surfaces should fit tightly if properly positioned. I would
re-glue
with epoxy, positioning carefully. Wipe off excess glue before it cures, and
the joint should hardly show. If there are missing bits in the break,
filling
with epoxy and painting or coloring with permanent markers may cover it.
Acetone might help in removing the old glue.
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gary" wrote in message
ps.com...
| Several years, my wife broke an arm off a porcelain statue.
|
| She tried to repair the statue by gluing the two pieces but the mating
| surfaces didn't align correctly so now there an ugly gap.
|
| How can I remove the glue -- I don't know if she used Crazy Glue or
| another type of glue -- sand down each mating surface and re-glue the
| two pieces?

why remove it
why not fill the gaps with a porcelain patch kit and re-finish it?
obviously the glue your wife used is working fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gary spake thus:

The "ugly gap" is because the broken ends of the arm are uneven. How
can I smooth the surfaces so they'll match evenly?

You can't. Anything you do to try to "match" the two broken ends will
only make things worse. The best you can do is remove all the glue,
somehow, then reglue it properly. Good luck.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 01:22:20 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

gary spake thus:

The "ugly gap" is because the broken ends of the arm are uneven. How
can I smooth the surfaces so they'll match evenly?

You can't. Anything you do to try to "match" the two broken ends will
only make things worse. The best you can do is remove all the glue,
somehow, then reglue it properly. Good luck.

Fill the gaps with epoxy, and paint to match.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gary wrote:

Several years, my wife broke an arm off a porcelain statue.

She tried to repair the statue by gluing the two pieces but the mating
surfaces didn't align correctly so now there an ugly gap.

How can I remove the glue -- I don't know if she used Crazy Glue or
another type of glue -- sand down each mating surface and re-glue the
two pieces?

Someone rec. using acetone to remove the glue. Good advice, but I would
try hot soapy water first. Neither should hurt porcelain unless it has
some painted detail on it. I assume it has only fired on finish.

If it has enough mass - not a tiny delicate thing - you could drill a
small hole in the center of each broken end with a Dremel. Forget which
bit, but I used mine to drill a hole in the bottom of a china cup so's I
could put a plant in it. Then, put a dab of clear silicone caulk (my
favorite, all-purpose adhesive for sticking stuff to glass or tile) into
the drilled holes, smoosh it together, wipe off excess, support with
mask tape until it sets. If it is a large, heavy item, you could put a
wood dowel into the center holes for support. Even plaster of paris
might work.

Fridge timer breaking twice bunny Home Repair 6 November 13th 05 02:10 PM
Roof Breaking.. Matt Home Repair 4 October 26th 05 02:28 PM
Breaking in a plastering trowel IainD UK diy 4 October 6th 05 05:15 AM
HOT keeps breaking down Rene Electronics Repair 16 July 11th 05 10:10 PM
breaking apart doors news.tiscali.co.uk UK diy 3 January 19th 05 01:49 AM