bunny

Default Fridge timer breaking twice

Hi everyone

We have a Samsung fridge - freezer on top, it is 7 years old. 3 weeks
ago the timer stopped working, so we replaced it with a new timer (60
dollars).
Tonight we realised the new timer stopped working also.

Any idea what causes timers to fault? If we turn it manually the fridge
cools/defrosts as normal. Now we leave it on frost, we change it
manually to defrost every 6 hours for 14 minutes until we find the
reason. I dont want to buy another one for it to break also.

Help?!

--
bunny
bunny's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=175

Appliance Repair Aid

bunny wrote:
Hi everyone

We have a Samsung fridge - freezer on top, it is 7 years old. 3 weeks
ago the timer stopped working, so we replaced it with a new timer (60
dollars).
Tonight we realised the new timer stopped working also.

Any idea what causes timers to fault? If we turn it manually the fridge
cools/defrosts as normal. Now we leave it on frost, we change it
manually to defrost every 6 hours for 14 minutes until we find the
reason. I dont want to buy another one for it to break also.

Help?!

--
bunny

Hi,

Tonight we realised the new timer stopped working also.

How did it quit/fail?

Any idea what causes timers to fault?

Bad part, no power to the timer from something else in the
refrigerator, water or moisture getting onto the timer, installed
incorrectly?!?....some possible trouble makers.

We have a Samsung fridge - freezer on top, it is 7 years old

Model#?

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

bunny

Hi Jeff

Thank you so much for answering. I am in Australia.
My Samsung fridge model is SRG-488.

The timer stopped working - it was stuck on the cold cycle. I noticed
that a few things froze in the fridge section yesterday and today the
freezer wasnt freezing properly. So my husband checked the timer and
sure enough, timer is stuck on cooling and doesnt spin.
I am guessing that if there was no power to the timer, it wouldnt work
at all when i turn it manually either. Will get my husband to open the
timer up and check for moisture. It was installed properly as it worked
for 3 weeks.

I really appreciate your help! We are expecting a new baby and cant
afford getting a new fridge.
Thanks again.

--
bunny
bunny's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=175
View this thread: http://www.homeplot.com/showthread.php?t=60818

bunny

OOOhhh we just went to the homepage that is in your signature and found
a whole walkthrough on how to fix frost free problems.
Well... we opened up the freezer floor and what do you know.. the coils
are all iced up! so with my hair dryer we melted it. Now we cant hear
the defrost heater working at all.
Could this have been the problem? defrost heater doesnt work means the
timer doesnt work because they are connected - or are these 2 seperate
problems?

I am getting really worried that we will need a new fridge as there is
so much to fix. I appreciate any help!!

--
bunny
bunny's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=175
View this thread: http://www.homeplot.com/showthread.php?t=60818

Stormin Mormon

When the timer sticks in the cooling cycle, the coils frost over. Might try
to find a different supplier for defrost timers.

The fact that it is cooling (at all) means it's worth fixing.

The defrost heater only works when the bimetal (round thing about an inch
big and two wires) is cold.

With the new timer, did the fridge work for awhile?

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"bunny" wrote in message

OOOhhh we just went to the homepage that is in your signature and found
a whole walkthrough on how to fix frost free problems.
Well... we opened up the freezer floor and what do you know.. the coils
are all iced up! so with my hair dryer we melted it. Now we cant hear
the defrost heater working at all.
Could this have been the problem? defrost heater doesnt work means the
timer doesnt work because they are connected - or are these 2 seperate
problems?

I am getting really worried that we will need a new fridge as there is
so much to fix. I appreciate any help!!

--
bunny
bunny's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=175
View this thread: http://www.homeplot.com/showthread.php?t=60818

mm

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 16:38:00 -0500, bunny
wrote:

I really appreciate your help! We are expecting a new baby and cant
afford getting a new fridge.
Thanks again.

Even if you could afford it, that is no reason to buy a new one when
the old one can be fixed.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Appliance Repair Aid

Hi,

I would be unfamilier with an Australian model.

we opened up the freezer floor and what do you know.. the coils
are all iced up! so with my hair dryer we melted it. Now we cant hear
the defrost heater working at all

If the defrost timer was not moving or bad, if the defrost heater was
bad, if the defrost thermostat was bad ( or any combination of these )
the refrigerator will stop defrosting and the cooling coils will plug
up with frost and you loose your cooling ability.

Could this have been the problem? defrost heater doesnt work means the
timer doesnt work because they are connected - or are these 2 seperate
problems?

Could very well be relaited!

Someone more familier with the unit may be better off to help....
http://www.applianceaid.com/UK_appliance_links.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Fridge Iced Up; Replaced Timer; Now What? [email protected] Home Repair 16 May 11th 05 09:20 PM
Whirlpool Fridge Timer is Noisy Claire Home Repair 1 March 19th 05 01:43 PM
Intermatic timer question barry martin Home Repair 0 June 25th 04 06:27 PM
Integrated fridge John UK diy 3 April 29th 04 12:08 PM
Fridge freezer annoyance Craig Graham UK diy 2 March 23rd 04 10:12 PM