Posted to alt.home.repair
Sue Sue is offline

Default Replace Side Mounted Garage Door Springs

I think I want to replace my side mounted garage door springs myself.
I have searched the web for instructions and found 1 semi-useful site
(www.naturalhandymand.com ) but I would really like some instructions with
photos or pictures. This will be the first time I have attempted this home
repair, and I'm much more comfortable with too much inforation than without
enough information.
Thanks,
Sue

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

In article ,
says...

(
www.naturalhandymand.com ) but I would really like some instructions with
photos or pictures. This will be the first time I have attempted this home
repair, and I'm much more comfortable with too much inforation than without
enough information.
Thanks,
Sue

Side mounted extension springs are very easy to change, quite safe compared to
torsion drive, since you work with no spring tension. Roll the door up. Use a C
clamp on each track to hold the door up (or vise grips). The spring is now just
hanging there with no tension. Unhook the cable, remove and replace the spring
and hook the cable back up. Try to get equal tension on each side, just barely
enough to hold the spring horizontal.

If it is a recent door there will be a safety cable down the center of the
spring that you will need to remove and replace also. And if it doesn't have
a safety cable, put one on, they are availabe at any Home Depot along with the
springs.

Here is Clopay's instructions, lots of other stuff on their site:

http://www.clopaydoor.com/publicfile...lyInstruct.pdf

Just curious, why do they need replacing?

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sue" writes:

I think I want to replace my side mounted garage door springs myself.
I have searched the web for instructions and found 1 semi-useful site
(www.naturalhandymand.com ) but I would really like some instructions with
photos or pictures. This will be the first time I have attempted this home
repair, and I'm much more comfortable with too much inforation than without
enough information.
Thanks,
Sue

I'll do a fair amount of stuff myself. Garage door springs with
energy and tension to shoot through my chest, however, aren't among
them. They're among the more dangerous goodies in a home IMO.

Don't wanna chase you away from saving money, but if you screw it up
you could end up disabled or dead without too much imagination.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

(Todd H.) writes:

"Sue" writes:

I think I want to replace my side mounted garage door springs myself.
I have searched the web for instructions and found 1 semi-useful site
(
www.naturalhandymand.com ) but I would really like some instructions with
photos or pictures. This will be the first time I have attempted this home
repair, and I'm much more comfortable with too much inforation than without
enough information.
Thanks,
Sue

I'll do a fair amount of stuff myself. Garage door springs with
energy and tension to shoot through my chest, however, aren't among
them. They're among the more dangerous goodies in a home IMO.

Don't wanna chase you away from saving money, but if you screw it up
you could end up disabled or dead without too much imagination.

Doh--disregard -- I wasn't aware side springs were so easy to work
with and weren't under tension all the time like the coils I've seen
so often.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

DT wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

All I might add to what DT said and the link he gave you is to make sure
you get the proper strength springs to match your door's weight.

Sometimes the springs are color coded with paint, to assist getting the
correct replacements, but the most certain test is to carefully lower
the door onto a bathroom scale with the door's springs disconnected.
(This may take a couple of husky guys to help you with.)

If the weight of the door exceeds the scale's range, you can easily
double that range with a simple lever made out of a foot or two length
of 2 by 4 and a brick. Put one end of wood on the scale and the other on
the brick and place that rig so the door gets lowered onto the center of
the piece of wood, then just double the scale's reading.

Once you know the weight of the door, just buy springs with a rating
close to that weight.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sue Sue is offline

One of the reasons that I was looking for graphic instructions is that I
have a solid, one piece door not a roll up door.
Because it is not a roll up door I do not have those 'tracks' that all the
instructions I have read tell me to C-Clamp to hold the door in
place.......so that makes me wonder what else I do have or do not have that
the instructions are not addressing.
I think you are correct, in that there is not nearly the danger in working
with side mounted springs as there is in working with tension springs. My
existing springs have the safety cable running down the center - does that
cable wear, should that be replaced too?
The reason I want to replace the springs is first they are 12 years old, and
second I recently replaced the sprocket on my garage door opener and the
garage door seems much less balanced than it did prior to that replacement.
Especially when moving downward when closing the door - the door moves from
side to side. So I thought the springs might be the next thing to conquer!
Thanks for your prompt response. But I would still like some
photos/pictures showing all the parts and location of those parts that need
to be replaced.
Sue

"DT" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

In article ,
says...

[...]

I've never worked on that style door. There are probably points where the
mechanism can be clamped to lock it up, but as long as it has an opener, just
run her up and turn the power off to the opener, it will hold the door fine.

It doesn't really sound like the springs are part of the problem you described,
sounds more like worn bushings.

The safety cables don't wear out in my experience, but check them for any
rubbed areas.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sue Sue is offline

OK - where are the bushings you speak about? Any chance I can handle that
myself?

"DT" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get the right spring. Home Depot has a small selection. Door companies have
more and are more expensive. Open the door and tie it open. The new spring
may have a different fastener than the old spring. Some old springs have "S"
hooks on the ends. The new ones are like a "D" so the spring can't fly if it
breaks. The new spring will also have a cable in it to keep it there if it
breaks. Anyway, attach the bottom of the spring to the door frame, and then
pull the spring up and attach the top. This is the hard part. I use a small
come along and a big screwdriver. My whole subdivision had Holmes doors,
most have been replaced with overhead doors now. I've changed a dozen of
these springs with no problems.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can get the springs for your one-piece garage door he
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/custom.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

We are looking to replace single steel door with sectional door. The side springs look different from all others I have seen with a long bolt in the end of the spring. How are these removed? Can you recommend website with video or pictures please.

Garage door extention springs Brian V Home Repair 6 January 1st 07 10:52 PM
Garage door extension springs joe Home Repair 3 November 6th 06 01:12 PM
Garage Door Springs Daryl Home Repair 16 February 15th 06 07:15 PM
Garage Door Tension springs keep slipping R Kannan Home Ownership 3 November 11th 05 03:31 AM
Garage door torsion springs. Rich Home Repair 24 October 11th 04 11:40 AM