Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

Default Replace Side Mounted Garage Door Springs

In article ,
says...

I think I want to replace my side mounted garage door springs myself.
I have searched the web for instructions and found 1 semi-useful site
(
www.naturalhandymand.com ) but I would really like some instructions with
photos or pictures. This will be the first time I have attempted this home
repair, and I'm much more comfortable with too much inforation than without
enough information.
Thanks,
Sue

Side mounted extension springs are very easy to change, quite safe compared to
torsion drive, since you work with no spring tension. Roll the door up. Use a C
clamp on each track to hold the door up (or vise grips). The spring is now just
hanging there with no tension. Unhook the cable, remove and replace the spring
and hook the cable back up. Try to get equal tension on each side, just barely
enough to hold the spring horizontal.

If it is a recent door there will be a safety cable down the center of the
spring that you will need to remove and replace also. And if it doesn't have
a safety cable, put one on, they are availabe at any Home Depot along with the
springs.

Here is Clopay's instructions, lots of other stuff on their site:

http://www.clopaydoor.com/publicfile...lyInstruct.pdf

Just curious, why do they need replacing?

--
Dennis