Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al Big Al is offline

Default Replace Side Mounted Garage Door Springs

Get the right spring. Home Depot has a small selection. Door companies have
more and are more expensive. Open the door and tie it open. The new spring
may have a different fastener than the old spring. Some old springs have "S"
hooks on the ends. The new ones are like a "D" so the spring can't fly if it
breaks. The new spring will also have a cable in it to keep it there if it
breaks. Anyway, attach the bottom of the spring to the door frame, and then
pull the spring up and attach the top. This is the hard part. I use a small
come along and a big screwdriver. My whole subdivision had Holmes doors,
most have been replaced with overhead doors now. I've changed a dozen of
these springs with no problems.

Al