Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Garage Gift Ideas

I never knew my husband had such borderline OCD characteristics until we
moved into our dream house.
We built a garage with room for him to do his "projects", a name thrown
around for all those daydreaming activities you're sure to do upon
retirement. While he hasn't stopped working fulltime yet, he has
started spending all his weekend time in the garage, organizing and
arranging. The funny thing is, I've never seen him happier. I want to
get him something for his birthday that he can use in his "shop", but I
break into hives when I step foot into Home Depot.
He might actually want to build birdhouses and other stuff like that,
but I can't see him letting his shop get dirty. Do they make a "wood
shavings" scented air freshener I can get him to give others the
impression that he does dirty work in there? - Judes
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Judes McCoy" wrote in message

I never knew my husband had such borderline OCD characteristics until we
moved into our dream house.

but I can't see him letting his shop get dirty. Do they make a "wood
shavings" scented air freshener I can get him to give others the
impression that he does dirty work in there? - Judes

LOL ... it's a mere matter of terminology. If we can call a garage a "shop,
rename the kitchen and you can go watch TV while he cleans.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/25/06

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Judes McCoy" wrote in message
The funny thing is, I've never seen him happier. I want to
get him something for his birthday that he can use in his "shop", but I
break into hives when I step foot into Home Depot.

Unless you know EXACTLY what he'd like for his shop, then I suggest you get
him gift certificates. While he will pretend to like any tool or whatever
you get for his shop, truthfully there's a good chance he will be privately
disappointed with whatever it is. The only other alternative if he hasn't
already done it is introduce him to something like the Lee Valley Tools
website where he can set up a wish list of stuff he wants and then you can
pick something from there as a gift for him.

http://www.leevalley.com/home/WishList1.aspx?c=1

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

This oughta get him out the garage for a while:

Sign him up for a woodworking class at your local adult education site,
woodworking supplies store (e.g. Woodcraft), or woodworking society.

He'll get to use all sorts of cool tools and he'll get an idea of what
type of woodworking he wants to do and the types of tools he'll need.

Watch out - This could get expensive!

Judes McCoy wrote:
I never knew my husband had such borderline OCD characteristics until we
moved into our dream house.
We built a garage with room for him to do his "projects", a name thrown
around for all those daydreaming activities you're sure to do upon
retirement. While he hasn't stopped working fulltime yet, he has
started spending all his weekend time in the garage, organizing and
arranging. The funny thing is, I've never seen him happier. I want to
get him something for his birthday that he can use in his "shop", but I
break into hives when I step foot into Home Depot.
He might actually want to build birdhouses and other stuff like that,
but I can't see him letting his shop get dirty. Do they make a "wood
shavings" scented air freshener I can get him to give others the
impression that he does dirty work in there? - Judes

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Judes McCoy" wrote in message
I never knew my husband had such borderline OCD characteristics until we
moved into our dream house.
We built a garage with room for him to do his "projects", a name thrown
around for all those daydreaming activities you're sure to do upon
retirement. While he hasn't stopped working fulltime yet, he has
started spending all his weekend time in the garage, organizing and
arranging. The funny thing is, I've never seen him happier. I want to
get him something for his birthday that he can use in his "shop", but I
break into hives when I step foot into Home Depot.
He might actually want to build birdhouses and other stuff like that,
but I can't see him letting his shop get dirty. Do they make a "wood
shavings" scented air freshener I can get him to give others the
impression that he does dirty work in there? - Judes

Sure. There are lots of pine scented air fresheners on the market.
But the aroma of good old fashioned sawdust can not be duplicated.

Max (savoring the smell of fresh cut hickory)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Judes McCoy wrote:
I never knew my husband had such borderline OCD characteristics until we
moved into our dream house.
We built a garage with room for him to do his "projects", a name thrown
around for all those daydreaming activities you're sure to do upon
retirement. While he hasn't stopped working fulltime yet, he has
started spending all his weekend time in the garage, organizing and
arranging. The funny thing is, I've never seen him happier.

Ever though about renting him out? ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

You never knew this before? His ties weren't organized according to length
and color family?

Sorry, don't mean to joke, but its funny to hear about someone wanting a
shop so bad and then keeping it in pristine condition. Maybe its better
that way, as I just helped my grandfather clean out his garage. Stuff had
been accumulating for 25 years in that garage, and heaven forbid he would
throw anything away during that time. In an attempt to help him turn over
a new leaf and stay organized, me and my cousin bought him a Dirt Dog for
his shop. He can't bend over very well, and it keeps the floor clean
without him having to sweep. Maybe if your husband had a shop vac that
would always be "on his side" in the fight to stay clean, he could focus on
actually making something (and possibly a mess!). They're not too
expensive either!

Jetson
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 17:39:26 GMT, Judes McCoy
wrote:

I never knew my husband had such borderline OCD characteristics until we
moved into our dream house.
We built a garage with room for him to do his "projects", a name thrown
around for all those daydreaming activities you're sure to do upon
retirement. While he hasn't stopped working fulltime yet, he has
started spending all his weekend time in the garage, organizing and
arranging. The funny thing is, I've never seen him happier. I want to
get him something for his birthday that he can use in his "shop", but I
break into hives when I step foot into Home Depot.
He might actually want to build birdhouses and other stuff like that,
but I can't see him letting his shop get dirty. Do they make a "wood
shavings" scented air freshener I can get him to give others the
impression that he does dirty work in there? - Judes

Do him a favor and don't try to buy him anything. He knows what he
wants, so just let him have it. If he doesn't have a fire
extinguisher, first-aid kit, smoke detector--these are inexpensive
items that are nice to have and nice to never use.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

I never knew my husband had such borderline OCD characteristics until we
moved into our dream house.
We built a garage with room for him to do his "projects", a name thrown
around for all those daydreaming activities you're sure to do upon
retirement. While he hasn't stopped working fulltime yet, he has
started spending all his weekend time in the garage, organizing and
arranging. The funny thing is, I've never seen him happier. I want to
get him something for his birthday that he can use in his "shop", but I
break into hives when I step foot into Home Depot.
He might actually want to build birdhouses and other stuff like that,
but I can't see him letting his shop get dirty. Do they make a "wood
shavings" scented air freshener I can get him to give others the
impression that he does dirty work in there? - Judes

The best present my wife could give is to get her stuff out of my
garage (G). Finally, she has a separate garage.

--
Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

And the winner is......Oren!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Judes McCoy wrote in
:

[...]

No shop is complete without a Frederick's of Hollywood Calendar.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 19:39:56 -0600, Al Bundy
wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Her's is cluttered like mine - projects, ya know. Her goal is to park
the "grocery getter" in her own single garage. Good luck, Honey!

Mine, various garages (over the years) is so cluttered I would
describe my path as a cow trail. It is getting thinned out rapidly.

It has been declared: "Out of Bounds"
--
Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Judes McCoy wrote:
I never knew my husband had such borderline OCD characteristics until
we moved into our dream house.
We built a garage with room for him to do his "projects", a name
thrown around for all those daydreaming activities you're sure to do
upon retirement. While he hasn't stopped working fulltime yet, he has
started spending all his weekend time in the garage, organizing and
arranging. The funny thing is, I've never seen him happier. I want
to get him something for his birthday that he can use in his "shop",
but I break into hives when I step foot into Home Depot.
He might actually want to build birdhouses and other stuff like that,
but I can't see him letting his shop get dirty. Do they make a "wood
shavings" scented air freshener I can get him to give others the
impression that he does dirty work in there? - Judes

A Marilyn Monroe wall calendar is the perfect addition to any workshop.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 21:38:58 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Judes McCoy wrote:
[...]

So why a need to know the day?

--
Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Judes McCoy wrote:
I never knew my husband had such borderline OCD characteristics until we
moved into our dream house.
We built a garage with room for him to do his "projects", a name thrown
around for all those daydreaming activities you're sure to do upon
retirement. While he hasn't stopped working fulltime yet, he has
started spending all his weekend time in the garage, organizing and
arranging. The funny thing is, I've never seen him happier. I want to
get him something for his birthday that he can use in his "shop", but I
break into hives when I step foot into Home Depot.
He might actually want to build birdhouses and other stuff like that,
but I can't see him letting his shop get dirty. Do they make a "wood
shavings" scented air freshener I can get him to give others the
impression that he does dirty work in there? - Judes

A really nice gift would be to locate a good machinery dealer in the
area and "drag" him out shopping with you only to surprise him when you
show up at "tools r us" and let him know his budget. Your showing some
real interest and excitement in the tools and the trip would be a nice
bonus. If he's like many other guys, that fantasy is up there in the
vicinity of two hot ladies taking an interest in him if you know what I
mean....

AMW

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

I think it was "A.M. Wood" who stated:

A really nice gift would be to locate a good machinery dealer in the
area and "drag" him out shopping with you only to surprise him when you
show up at "tools r us" and let him know his budget. Your showing some
real interest and excitement in the tools and the trip would be a nice
bonus.

This is my favorite suggestion in this thread. My wife and I have done
that for each other quite a few times. It helps that we each take an
interest in the others' hobbies and tools . . . .

If he's like many other guys, that fantasy is up there in the
vicinity of two hot ladies taking an interest in him if you know what I
mean....

But of course! Unfortunately, it's usually other guys selling the
stuff at the tool store where I'm interested and other gals selling
the stuff at the tool store where she's interested, and . . .

.. . . Oh, wait a minute. This has possibilities!

--
A day without sunshine is like, well, night
Posted to alt.home.repair

Safest bet is to get him a HomeDepot gift card and let him get what he
wants.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Oren wrote:
A Marilyn Monroe wall calendar is the perfect addition to any
workshop.

So why a need to know the day?

There's not. Last year's calendar would be okay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are a lot better places to buy tools than Home Depot. Give him
your charge card number, a spending limit and let him search the web
for a better selection and often times a better price.

These aren't recommendations, just examples of some on-line tool
stores. Maybe some other folks will list their favorite on-line tool
sites. Just like brick & mortar stores, one will have the better prices
on some items; another will beat them on others.

www.northerntool.com
www.tools-plus.com
www.grizzlytools.com

And before anyone jumps all over me about the convenience of being able
to return a defective tool to a store, warranties, etc., I'll bring it
up myself. Yes, these are issues to consider when buying tools on-line.
I've bought power tools on-line and I've had to return one or two and
deal with the shipping, etc. However, over the long run, since I am
buying quality names like Dewalt and Porter-Cable, these issues have
been few and far between and the prices have more than made up for any
inconvenience caused by having to return a tool. Also keep in mind that
any local authorized factory service center will repair a quality name
tool regardless of where you purchased it.

Rich wrote:
- Safest bet is to get him a HomeDepot gift card and let him get what
he
- wants.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Sev Sev is offline

Al Bundy wrote:

Oren wrote in

The best present my wife could give is to get her stuff out of my
garage (G). Finally, she has a separate garage.

--
Oren

And the winner is......Oren!

I was gonna say for a lot of us, dumpster rental wouldn't be a bad
idea. But not in this case.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Sev" wrote in news:1167707158.397829.41310
@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Al Bundy wrote:

Oren wrote in

The best present my wife could give is to get her stuff out of my
garage (G). Finally, she has a separate garage.

--
Oren

And the winner is......Oren!

I was gonna say for a lot of us, dumpster rental wouldn't be a bad
idea. But not in this case.

His stuff to him: Equipment
His stuff to her: All that ****.

Her stuff to her: Needs
Her stuff to him: All that ****.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 21:56:01 -0600, Al Bundy
wrote:

"Sev" wrote in news:1167707158.397829.41310
:

Al Bundy wrote:

Oren wrote in

The best present my wife could give is to get her stuff out of my
garage (G). Finally, she has a separate garage.

--
Oren

And the winner is......Oren!

I was gonna say for a lot of us, dumpster rental wouldn't be a bad
idea. But not in this case.

His stuff to him: Equipment
His stuff to her: All that ****.

Her stuff to her: Needs