Posted to alt.home.repair

Default People PLEASE!!!!!

While I'm sure it's my own fault for getting the anecdotal facts wrong, so
far I've only heard one person actually address the basic question - which
is why is bonding wire so much larger than grounding wire.

But come on, let's try to stick to the question here and not get bogged down
by the anecdotes!

Let me be clear, I DO NOT MISTRUST OR SUSPECT THE WORK AS BEING SUBSTANDARD
OR NOT TO CODE. I'm sure it's perfectly fine, to code, and more than
adequate for my service. It was performed by a bonded and licenced
electrical company. Please ignore my mistaken eyeballed measurements about
wire sizes, ground rod distances.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
While I'm sure it's my own fault for getting the anecdotal facts
wrong, so far I've only heard one person actually address the basic
question - which is why is bonding wire so much larger than grounding
wire.

Because a dump truck is bigger than a bicycle. Because a 747 is bigger than
a kite.

They do different jobs, for different reasons, and have different
requirements.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The fact is, that he may have created the plumbing bond wire by "cabling"
several smaller bare wires (that he had already) as opposed to buying
another x number of feet of #6.

--
Steve Barker

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
news
While I'm sure it's my own fault for getting the anecdotal facts wrong, so
far I've only heard one person actually address the basic question - which
is why is bonding wire so much larger than grounding wire.

But come on, let's try to stick to the question here and not get bogged
down by the anecdotes!

Let me be clear, I DO NOT MISTRUST OR SUSPECT THE WORK AS BEING
SUBSTANDARD OR NOT TO CODE. I'm sure it's perfectly fine, to code, and
more than adequate for my service. It was performed by a bonded and
licenced electrical company. Please ignore my mistaken eyeballed
measurements about wire sizes, ground rod distances.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
The fact is, that he may have created the plumbing bond wire by "cabling"
several smaller bare wires (that he had already) as opposed to buying
another x number of feet of #6.

I agree. He may used what he had on the truck to get rid of it. Sometimes
electricians get stuck with short pieces that are too expensive to throw
out.

You can always go out and buy your own code book and look up the
requirements yourself.