Posted to alt.home.repair
wtf wtf is offline

Default Sewer smell from washing machine overflow

Can anyone tell me the possible reasons for an awful (sewer) smell coming
from the overflow pipe for my washing machine? Had the septic tank pumped 2
years ago. IS this a line that could get plugged and something I
could/should snake out? Any insghts are appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"wtf" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me the possible reasons for an awful (sewer) smell coming
from the overflow pipe for my washing machine? Had the septic tank pumped
2 years ago. IS this a line that could get plugged and something I
could/should snake out? Any insghts are appreciated.

Where is the overflow pipe? Are there any other plumbing problems/symptoms?
Is there an empty trap that is allowing gas to enter your home?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"wtf" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me the possible reasons for an awful (sewer) smell coming
from the overflow pipe for my washing machine? Had the septic tank pumped
2 years ago. IS this a line that could get plugged and something I
could/should snake out? Any insghts are appreciated.

Do you have a p-trap on the washer's drain line? If so, is water always in
it or does it go so long between uses that the water evaporates & lets sewer
gases back in?