Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing machine sour smell

Does anyone know how to get rid of a sour smell in a washing machine? It's
only there when we do a load of laundry (during the cycle) and it leaves our
clothes smelling slightly sour. I've tried pouring a whole bottle of white
vinegar in and running it on empty with hot water, and the same thing with
bleach instead. Neither worked. It's to the point now that it stinks up the
whole house when we wash clothes. Is there anything else we can try or
something we can do to the washer to fix this? Where would this sour smell
be coming from, since it's not there unless we wash clothes. The water from
our taps does not smell odd at all. I'm ready to get a new washing machine
if I can't get it to go away.

TIA,

Dawn

Posted to alt.home.repair

A scoop of baking soda per load works for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
oups.com...

A scoop of baking soda per load works for me.

Thanks, Eric. I think we're getting a new washer. That probably sounds
insane, but this washer came with the house (it was a model home, so not
sure if it was ever used) and I've never liked it anyway. We've had it for
five years. The next washer will be better cared for and a better brand
(this one's a GE).

Dawn

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dawn wrote:

Thanks, Eric. I think we're getting a new washer. That probably sounds
insane, but this washer came with the house (it was a model home, so not
sure if it was ever used) and I've never liked it anyway. We've had it for
five years. The next washer will be better cared for and a better brand
(this one's a GE).

Dawn

uh.. that's water backing up in it from somewhere

you've got a drainage problem

Posted to alt.home.repair

chili palmer wrote:

uh.. that's water backing up in it from somewhere

you've got a drainage problem

could be the washer pump letting water back in

does your tub or toilet or anything take on any extra water during the
wash cycle?

my bath tub fills up about half way then goes back down...
that's just my main drain not being large enough.. so my tub acts as a
buffer

it really soiunds like your wash machine is getting sour water reflux
its coming back in through the pump..

how else? you soaked it down in bleach

kms kuba sewing machinery Metalworking 0 May 9th 06 02:33 PM
kms kuba sewing machinery Home Repair 0 April 27th 06 09:16 AM
kmskuba sedatkzyk UK diy 2 March 29th 06 07:08 PM
Washing machine has filled up with water whilst turned off! pcyljmb UK diy 5 January 5th 06 11:45 PM
Zanussi FL1012 Washing Machine fault James UK diy 5 August 4th 04 01:45 PM