Posted to alt.home.repair
angel toledo

Default Help! Sewer smell in basement.

I had a badly clogged drain last week I had to attack at the main
drainage line right before it leaves the house. There's a 1' by 2' floor
opening at the corner of the basement with access to the pipe. I opened
the cap and out spilled water and all the filth backed up inside the
drain. The smell that came out was unbearable. I put on some long rubber
gloves and a respirator and in about two hours had the pipe unclogged
and the 1x2 hole cleaned of all the "stuff" left behind. It's just dirt
in that hole so taking out all that mud wasn't too easy.

My next problem was the stench left behind throughout the entire
basement. I emptied a small bottle of bleach into the hole, opened the
windows, and cleared the basement. Now, I must let everyone know I live
in New York City, and it has been bitterly cold here lately, so I don't
like leaving the windows wide open for too long a time.

Well, it's been over a week and the smell is still there. Obviously,
it's not as bad as before, but it's still very noticeable. Our basement
is completely finished and a part of our everyday lives. We've been
forced to abandon it for the past week. We've tried Lysol, Oust, mopping
the floors with strong pine cleaner, leaving the basement windows open
for long periods of time. These just help for a small amount of time.
Besides letting the place air out for a couple of weeks/months, I just
don't know what to do.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank You
Posted to alt.home.repair
ccs>ikyr

Try something with charcoal in it, such as this product...

http://www.greenfire.net/hot/E445.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wonder if you have a clogged DWV vent.

Posted to alt.home.repair
digitalmaster

"angel toledo" wrote in message
[...]

did you pour clean water down all your drains to refill the traps after you
removed the clog?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

angel toledo wrote:
I had a badly clogged drain last week I had to attack at the main
drainage line right before it leaves the house. There's a 1' by 2' floor
opening at the corner of the basement with access to the pipe. I opened
the cap and out spilled water and all the filth backed up inside the
drain. The smell that came out was unbearable. I put on some long rubber
gloves and a respirator and in about two hours had the pipe unclogged
and the 1x2 hole cleaned of all the "stuff" left behind. It's just dirt
in that hole so taking out all that mud wasn't too easy.

Oh thats just disgusting. Did it shoot up in the air?

So this hole in the floor was recessed? How extensive was the spillout?
What type of surface came in contact with the substance?

Since your in NY you can probably burn a gang of incense every day for a
week.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Lawrence

Here's another charcoal type product, sold by Lee Valley.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...=2,42194,40727

"ccsikyr" wrote in message
oups.com...
Try something with charcoal in it, such as this product...

http://www.greenfire.net/hot/E445.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak

angel toledo wrote:
[...]

You say the basement was finished. I suppose that means cloth covered
furniture which may have absorbed some of the smell?
Try Fabreze and/or OdoBan on the furniture.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY