Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement Sewer Gas Odor

I recently purchased a home with a partially finished basement. The
basement has a slight sewer gas odor that I've had trouble pinpointing
but it does seem to be strongest in the bathroom which consists of a
toilet, sink and shower stall. From a very close nasal inspection, the
odor does not seem to be coming from the shower stall drain. The
toilet has water in it so I'm assuming that would not be the source,
which leaves the sink. I've heard that "S" traps can have problems and
I'm not sure what one looks like but, the sink has a "P" trap.
This is a spare bathroom ( there is a full bath on the first floor).
The only thing I could think of is that the prior owner, an elderly
woman, probably did not use this bathroom so it may not have been used
for a very long time and the water seal in the trap simply dried up.
Does that sound like a possibility? I ran the water to put water into
the trap but I will not be back at the house for another week to see if
it has made a difference. Could the water in the trap dry up in a
weeks time? If this doesn't solve the problem, any suggestions for
what to look at next?

George

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

The only thing I could think of is that the prior owner, an elderly
woman, probably did not use this bathroom so it may not have been used
for a very long time and the water seal in the trap simply dried up.
Does that sound like a possibility? I ran the water to put water into
the trap but I will not be back at the house for another week to see if
it has made a difference. Could the water in the trap dry up in a
weeks time? If this doesn't solve the problem, any suggestions for
what to look at next?

Usually take longer than a week for it to dry out. We have a drain at work
that is rarely used and it will dry out and odor appears. Quick flush fixes
it for weeks at a time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Does the basement have a floor drain ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
JohnR66

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

In addition to the other posts, water can get removed from a trap due to a
clogged vent pipe or improper venting even if the water is coming grom
another drain. As the watter passes by, a small vacuum is created that can
lift some water out of the trap(s).
John

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

wrote:

[...]

Run about a quart of water into the shower and sink drains.
That will refill the traps.

If the odor persists and there aren't any floor drains to account
for it, the seal under the toilet may be leaking. A dried out
seal will allow gas to escape even though there is no visible water
seepage.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

The shower drain is in the floor. I'm not sure how it is plumbed but
the floor is a cement slab. I'm assuming that they ran the drain below
the slab. If, by floor drain, you mean an open drain in the floor
then no, there is none. When I go back I'll run water into both the
sink and the shower drain.
Thanks for the suggestion on the toilet. I would never have considered
it since it was tight. If the odor does not go away I'll replace the
seal.

George

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Conway

It's my understanding from having recently gotten quotes for a bsement
ejection system that will be needed for a bathroom basement, that that
type of system could also cause the smell you describe....