Posted to alt.home.repair
phaeton

Default Sewer gas coming up out of washing machine drain tube

It's me again! Thanks to everyone for the advice on the stove cord.
I'll have to hit up an electrical supply or hardware store this weekend
(holiday closures permitting) and do it *right*.

In the meantime, in the laundry room (which is its own source of
frustration- stay tuned and I'll abuse you folks with that story soon
enough) I believe we're detecting a semi-pungent 'sewer gas' type
aroma. It's not thick and heavy, but enough to notice. *My* nose
doesn't work very well, and at first i thought it was the new carpet we
put in several rooms- the new carpet smells weird compared to what I
remember carpet smelling like and it stunk up the whole house for
awhile after it was installed.

So anyways, the bathroom is upstairs in this house. The bathroom area
is 'partitioned' with a small wall and thus creates a "laundry room".
The washer drain goes into a piece of PVC pipe that has been routed
thru the partition wall, behind the toilet, and into a 6" or so
vertical vent pipe in the corner. I realize that pictures would be
worth a thousand words right now, but I haven't unpacked a camera yet.
So, if it is sewer gas and not the carpet i'm smelling, should I:

1) put a trap in the PVC (it has none) and buy some beer
2) put some sort of one-way check valve in the PVC and buy some beer
3) duct tape or otherwise seal the hose into the PVC and buy some beer
4) buy some votive candles and beer.

This sewer gas type smell doesn't *appear* to be coming from anywhere
else- i just sniffed around for awhile and right behind the washer is
where it's the worst. Is there a way to positively test for gas
backup? Once or twice I thought I smelled something foul by the
kitchen sink, but who knows what dangers lurk in the rancid bowels of a
sink....For all I know, since the house sat unused for months the water
in the trap could have evaporated out of it and let some gas out, but
now that we've used the sink it's fine.

That's for another day and different beer...

Thanks in advance for any and all....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"phaeton" wrote in message

1) put a trap in the PVC (it has none) and buy some beer
2) put some sort of one-way check valve in the PVC and buy some beer
3) duct tape or otherwise seal the hose into the PVC and buy some beer
4) buy some votive candles and beer.

5) buy some beer and to hell with the other options.

First choice is #5, but I think #1 may be the best long term solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The washer drain definitely needs a trap, which is there to block sewer
gas from coming in. Sounds like whoever did the install was a hack.

Posted to alt.home.repair
phaeton

Sounds like whoever did the install was a hack

As I mentioned, the entire "laundry area" is a source of frustration.
There's plenty more to this issue. My guess is that the upstairs area
has been rearranged at least once, and either the bathroom or laundry
room are an afterthought.

Fun fun!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

phaeton wrote:
[...]

The fix is #1. The problem is you may still have a problem as it may
also require some vent changes. Best bet on this one is to get a real
plumber to come out and take a look. It is hard to give enough advice over
the internet.

I have to agree with the comment about the competence and or honesty of
the one that put it in.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is fairly readily available a book on simple plumbing with code.
The sort of Do-it-yourself sold in a lot of the building supply places
like Lowes.

1. You need a trap.
2. Depending on the distance you may need another vent pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair
phaeton

Distance-wise i think from washing machine drain tube to vent pipe is
under 6 feet. I'll check out the book(s).

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
d The fix is #1. The problem is you may still have a problem as it may
also require some vent changes. Best bet on this one is to get a real
plumber to come out and take a look. It is hard to give enough advice

over
the internet.

I have to agree with the comment about the competence and or honesty

of
the one that put it in.

I agree. But you may be able to add a vent with one of those watco spring
loaded guys if you really need it. For cheapness and speed just add a trap
and see what happens. If you have to cut it out and redo you are out $5
worth of PVC.

Where are we drinking that beer? ))

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Dec 2005 09:16:54 -0800, "phaeton"
wrote:

1) put a trap in the PVC (it has none) and buy some beer
2) put some sort of one-way check valve in the PVC and buy some beer
3) duct tape or otherwise seal the hose into the PVC and buy some beer
4) buy some votive candles and beer.

5] Go to the hardware store and buy a small rubber thing made to seal
the laundry hose to the pipe. They are sold just for that purpose.
They are gray rubber-like material. They slip over the 1 1/2" PVC,
and the approx. 1 inch hose fits into it. There is a hose clamp on
both sides of it. Problem solved !!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

1) put a trap in the PVC (it has none) and buy some beer
2) put some sort of one-way check valve in the PVC and buy some beer
3) duct tape or otherwise seal the hose into the PVC and buy some beer
4) buy some votive candles and beer.

5] Go to the hardware store and buy a small rubber thing made to seal
the laundry hose to the pipe. They are sold just for that purpose.
They are gray rubber-like material. They slip over the 1 1/2" PVC,
and the approx. 1 inch hose fits into it. There is a hose clamp on
both sides of it. Problem solved !!!

Hi,
That's stop gap solution. The drain should have P trap. I don't know why
it doesn't?
Tony

I do agree it SHOULD have a trap.
I'm wondering if it's a trailer home. Most of the older trailers did
NOT have traps. I lived in one, I did not have a trap on the washing
machine pipe, so I used one of those rubber devices. One day I was
working on the pipes under the tub and decided to add a trap since
that was the same set of pipes anyhow. I still kept that rubber (like
a Fernco) on there. At least if there is a sewer clog, the wash water
wont back up out of that pipe, and is most likely to back up into the
bathtub instead. (Much less mess).

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

"stand pipe" with trap
see:
http://doityourself.com/appliance/irpwasher.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"5] Go to the hardware store and buy a small rubber thing made to seal
the laundry hose to the pipe. They are sold just for that purpose.
They are gray rubber-like material. They slip over the 1 1/2" PVC,
and the approx. 1 inch hose fits into it. There is a hose clamp on
both sides of it. Problem solved !!! "

Unless the sewer gas then makes it's way out of the washer itself.
Plus, if the house gets an inspection when you decide to sell it, this
is something obvious that will get flagged without having a trap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

wrote:

[...]

5) They all agree. I'm almost sure they're right, but I'd do a load
of laundry first. Just like your kitchen smell went away when you
used the kitchen, maybe this will.

I can't be sure from what you wrote that you don't already have a trap
on this line, and although it seems it would take a long time for all
the water to evaporate, it doesn't have to be all the water. The
level just has to go below the top inside line of the bottom of the
pipe.

This sewer gas type smell doesn't *appear* to be coming from anywhere
else- i just sniffed around for awhile and right behind the washer is
where it's the worst. Is there a way to positively test for gas
backup? Once or twice I thought I smelled something foul by the
kitchen sink, but who knows what dangers lurk in the rancid bowels of a
sink....For all I know, since the house sat unused for months the water
in the trap could have evaporated out of it and let some gas out, but
now that we've used the sink it's fine.

That's for another day and different beer...

Thanks in advance for any and all....

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

The washer drain goes into a piece of PVC pipe that has been routed
thru the partition wall, behind the toilet, and into a 6" or so
vertical vent pipe in the corner.

It's connected to the vent pipe (T or Y and a reducer)? Or someone just
hacked a hole into the vent and shoved the PVC into it? Either way why
would anyone expect that sewer gas *woudn't* come out? Put a trap in the
line.