Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need to separate the inner tub from the outer on my Kenmore front load

I have a Kenmore model 417 front load washer with something caught between
the inner and outer tubs. Whatever is in there is preventing all spinning.
I have checked the motor and I know the transmission is fine. I have the
outer tub taken apart but I can't get the inner tub separated from the
back half of the outer tub. I'm not even sure if the spindle that's
accessible from the back is supposed to turn clockwise or
counterclockwise, so I don't want to really crank on it. Can anybody help?
Posted to alt.home.repair

cnawalker wrote:
I have a Kenmore model 417 front load washer with something caught between
the inner and outer tubs. Whatever is in there is preventing all spinning.
I have checked the motor and I know the transmission is fine. I have the
outer tub taken apart but I can't get the inner tub separated from the
back half of the outer tub. I'm not even sure if the spindle that's
accessible from the back is supposed to turn clockwise or
counterclockwise, so I don't want to really crank on it. Can anybody help?

Hi,

model 417

That is the beginning of a model#.
417.########

I have checked the motor and I know the transmission is fine

Front load washers do not have a transmission.

Need to separate the inner tub from the outer

This may help...
http://www.applianceaid.com/417_Frigidaire_washer.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have gotten to the point of getting access to basket and tub of
your 417 washer, then you are taking on a very aggressive DIY project.
With that said, the basket is held onto the rear half of the outer tub
simply by the bolt to the main pulley. Remove the bolt, remove the
pulley, and the basket shaft should slip right out of the bearings of
the rear tub. I should add though that it is unlikely that you have
something that has gotten in there that is retarding movement of the
basket. I would guess that you have more of a bearing problem. Simply
shining a light around between the basket and outer tub should confirm
that there is nothing in there, since you have access to do this with
the front tub removed. Go ahead, remove the pulley and bolt, and if
the basket comes out, then check everything out. If it doesn't, don't
try pounding it out; stop there and go to plan B, which is a new basket
and tub assembly. You are in luck: Frigidaire makes it easy by
producing the whole assembly all put together for you; front half, back
half, basket, new pulley all together. I can get the part number for
you if you want. Keep in mind though that the retail price of this
assembly may lead you to want to replace the whole machine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Guess what. Pulled the basket and in there I found a little sock (one of my
daughter's)all torn up, wrapped around the spindle, and most definitely
impeding spin. Once I took the sock out the basket spun like a champ. So
now, water goes in and out, clothes go round and round, everything comes
out clean, and I bought no parts. Not bad, huh? I have to say, this is not
the first time that a small sock has gotten between the basket and the
outer tub on this machine and there was no scraping or grinding sound to
suggest a bearing problem. I think this model is vulnerable to this
problem with small items of clothing and a little bit of overfilling. So,
if anybody out there is researching a similar problem on one of these
babies, I would advocate checking the interposing sock scenario first.