Posted to alt.home.repair
jay jay is offline

Default Cracked Plastic Outer Tub in Maytag Washer

I have a three year old Maytag Washer which developed a water leak.
After removing the front panel, I tracked the leak to a vertical crack
on the plastic outer tub. Can this be fixed with some type of epoxy or
should I just buy a new washer? Thx

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jay" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a three year old Maytag Washer which developed a water leak.
After removing the front panel, I tracked the leak to a vertical crack
on the plastic outer tub. Can this be fixed with some type of epoxy or
should I just buy a new washer? Thx

What is the model number. There was a recall on Maytag MAH9700 models.
Even if that is not yours, I think it would be worth a call to the company
before replacing a machine that is only three years old.

MaryL

Posted to alt.home.repair

jay wrote:
I have a three year old Maytag Washer which developed a water leak.
After removing the front panel, I tracked the leak to a vertical crack
on the plastic outer tub. Can this be fixed with some type of epoxy or
should I just buy a new washer? Thx

The epoxy will just fall apart after a few cycles, especially if you
use a strong detergent like Tide. (I know this from experience, sigh.)
I would contact Maytag and complain about this---a three-year old
washer should not be giving you this sort of trouble. I am in the
process of getting rid of my Maytag, which lasted 10 years but in the
meantime gave me nothing but grief. The company has gone downhill IMO,
and I won't buy Maytag again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jay wrote:

After removing the front panel, I tracked the leak to a vertical crack
on the plastic outer tub. Can this be fixed with some type of epoxy or
should I just buy a new washer?

You need to identify the plastic: www.urethanesupply.com/identify.html

This web site also has extensive information about repairing plastics

Epoxy rarely works well on plastic, except for bakelite and polyester,
and your tub is definitely not made of either. With many types of
plastic can be repaired well only with solvent or heat welding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jay" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a three year old Maytag Washer which developed a water leak.
After removing the front panel, I tracked the leak to a vertical crack
on the plastic outer tub. Can this be fixed with some type of epoxy or
should I just buy a new washer?

It's been a little over a year since I was selling Maytag washers, but I
believe the outer tub was warranteed for something like 10yrs at least. Of
course the labor on Maytag was only covered like two years, I believe.

Tom G

Maytag Washer Transmission Problem??? [email protected] Home Repair 4 March 1st 06 09:57 PM
Need help for Maytag Washer and Dryer (Model #MAV5920EWW, # MDE4806AZW) [email protected] Home Ownership 10 December 16th 05 02:34 AM
Maytag Washer Leak [email protected] Home Repair 2 May 24th 05 07:49 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Maytag Neptune Washer lousy customer service for repair; I would think twice next time and buy from Sears wkearney99 Home Ownership 0 November 28th 03 09:01 PM