Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recommended brands of refrigerators?

Pardon me folks, I didn't know how to post and wound up posting my
question in another thread. Thanks Jerry for the response. I've since
broadened my search for refrigerators. Now, in addition to the GE
freezer-on-top, 24.6 cu. ft "Profile Arcata" refrigerator, I am
considering both Maytag and Amana brands. Reading postings in this
group and others I have found Maytag to have generally the best
reviews. I need as much refrigerator capacity as possible; quiet
operation (well insulated) and lower cost are the two additional most
important items. (The fewer bells-and-whistles, the better) The
Maytag and Amana are freezer-on-bottom refrigerators; not my favorite,
but the capacity is good and the price fairly reasonable. Both of
these are 25 cu. ft. with almost 18 cu. ft. of refrigerator space.
Price ranges from a little over $1000 to $1250.00. Thanks, Dorian

I am looking for a top freezer refrigerator with the maximum capacity
for the refrigerator at the lowest cost. I don't need any of the
bells-and-whistles which seem to come, inevitably, with the larger
sized, better quality refrigerators. The largest refrigerator I would
find with the conventional top freezer style is the GE Profile Arctica
refrigerator with a capacity of 24.6 Cu. Ft.
It is model number: PTS25LHSWW. However, in reading posts to this
group about GE refrigerators I have seen a lot of criticism of the
quality of GE products. Does anyone know anything about this model?
Or are all GE refrigerators of poor quality these days? And if so,
what company, if any, has well made refrigerators? Thank you for your
help. Dorian

From: - view profile
Date: Tues, Dec 19 2006 3:12 pm
Email:

Dorian wrote:
Or are all GE refrigerators of poor quality these days? And if so,
what company, if any, has well made refrigerators? Thank you for your
help. Dorian

Don't know much about top-freezer models. We just bought a GE Profile
side-by-side to replace a _6 year old_ Amana that died on Thanksgiving
day, compressor. I'm kinda down on Amanas right now. Prior to the
compressor failure, we had lost the auger motor, and we were on the 4th

icemaker unit. Meanwhile the 20-some year old GE in the garage just
keeps chugging along, one of the reasons we decided to go with a GE to
replace the Amana.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dorian" wrote in message
ups.com...

Pardon me folks, I didn't know how to post and wound up posting my
question in another thread. Thanks Jerry for the response. I've since
broadened my search for refrigerators. Now, in addition to the GE
freezer-on-top, 24.6 cu. ft "Profile Arcata" refrigerator, I am
considering both Maytag and Amana brands. Reading postings in this
group and others I have found Maytag to have generally the best
reviews.

Kitchen Aid, Whirlpool are a couple of the best. GE is mid range. Amana
used to be, but I'm not so sure today.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Manual Toothbrushes Manufacturer - http://www.sunrisebrush.com

Manual Toothbrushes Manufacturer - Yangzhou Shuguang Toothbrush Factory
http://www.xanga.com/sgtoothbrush , http://www.sunrisbrush.com ,
http://www.chinabboss.com , http://20six.co.uk/sgtoothbrush ,
http://www.xanga.com/sunrisebrush , http://sgtoothbrush.livejournal.com
, http://www.advogate.org/person/sgtoothbrush

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wooden Cedar Shoe Trees Manufacturer - http://www.toplevel.net.cn

Wooden Cedar Shoe Trees Manufacturer - China Toplevel Co.,Limited
http://www.xanga.com/shoetrees , http://www.xanga.com/shoetree ,
http://www.toplevel.net.cn

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dorian" wrote in message
ups.com...

Pardon me folks, I didn't know how to post and wound up posting my
question in another thread. Thanks Jerry for the response. I've since
broadened my search for refrigerators. Now, in addition to the GE
freezer-on-top, 24.6 cu. ft "Profile Arcata" refrigerator, I am
considering both Maytag and Amana brands. Reading postings in this
group and others I have found Maytag to have generally the best
reviews. I need as much refrigerator capacity as possible; quiet
operation (well insulated) and lower cost are the two additional most
important items. (The fewer bells-and-whistles, the better) The
Maytag and Amana are freezer-on-bottom refrigerators; not my favorite,
but the capacity is good and the price fairly reasonable. Both of
these are 25 cu. ft. with almost 18 cu. ft. of refrigerator space.
Price ranges from a little over $1000 to $1250.00. Thanks, Dorian

Amana makes top-freezer models. Perhaps you should visit their web site.

I've got a bottom freezer model that's fantastic. No ice maker, no water
dispenser, just the basic unit. Unless you go into your freezer more often
than your refrigerator, I'm not sure why you'd want the freezer on top.

Looks like my model's been replaced with a newer one, but this is pretty
close. Notice that it's got a door on the freezer, not a drawer. They make
both versions.

http://www.amana.com/amana/jsp/viewp...Category=-9465

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "Dorian" wrote:

Pardon me folks, I didn't know how to post and wound up posting my
question in another thread. Thanks Jerry for the response. I've since
broadened my search for refrigerators. Now, in addition to the GE
freezer-on-top, 24.6 cu. ft "Profile Arcata" refrigerator, I am
considering both Maytag and Amana brands. Reading postings in this
group and others I have found Maytag to have generally the best
reviews.

I've always had very good service from Whirlpool and Kenmore refrigerators.
(Kenmore is made by Whirlpool, so that's not much of a surprise.)

I need as much refrigerator capacity as possible; quiet
operation (well insulated) and lower cost are the two additional most
important items. (The fewer bells-and-whistles, the better) The
Maytag and Amana are freezer-on-bottom refrigerators; not my favorite,
but the capacity is good and the price fairly reasonable.

Before you spend big bucks on a new bottom-freezer model, see if you can rent
one, or buy a used one for a hundred bucks. Use it for a month. Then see if
you're still interested in getting one. The previous owners of our house left
one of those behind -- my wife and I both hated it. We have a side-by-side
now, and it's great.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...
In article . com,
"Dorian" wrote:

[...]

Did your bottom freezer model have a drawer or a door?

As far as the side by side models, you can find an equal number of people
who hate the things because they're so narrow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Todd H. wrote:

FYI, there are also Kenmore-branded fridges made by Frigidaire these
days.

In the side by side realm at least, it's easy to avoid them if you
choose the kenmores with water filters accessible from teh front
though--those are made by whirlpool.

As long as we're talking about Sears, I should mention their pricing.

When we bought our GE Profile on Thanksgiving weekend, we looked at
Sears first, then Best Buy. The EXACT same model was priced $400 more
at Sears, the one at Sears was on "sale", $200 off, yeah right.

And if you're interested in extended warranties (we hardly ever buy
them), the warranty at Sears cost nearly twice as much as the one at
Best Buy.

Sears offered free delivery via mail-in rebate OR 12 month 0%
financing. Best Buy offered free delivery (no rebate involved) AND 18
month 0% financing. Kinda made our decision a no-brainer.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Did your bottom freezer model have a drawer or a door?

Door. I've never seen one with a drawer, but I think I'd not dislike that
nearly so much -- just the same, I'll stick with the side-by-side.

As far as the side by side models, you can find an equal number of people
who hate the things because they're so narrow.

That's probably why they make so many different styles.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some advice for you.

Cut the "pardon me folks blah blah blah" stuff.

Get to the point.

And, no I won't give you my invaluable info on refrigers.

I never respond
Dorian wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some advice for you.

Cut the "pardon me folks blah blah blah" stuff.

Get to the point.

And, no I won't give you my invaluable info on refrigers.

I can't get passed your phony manners.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message news:qFaih.4830

I've always had very good service from Whirlpool and Kenmore
refrigerators.
(Kenmore is made by Whirlpool, so that's not much of a surprise.)

SOME are made by Whirlpool. Some are made by Frigidaire and they are not as
good, IMO. There is a web site that tells you the manufacturer based on the
part number.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

Yeah, we ran into the same thing when buying a washer and dryer a few years
ago: we found a Whirlpool set at Circuit City that was several hundred dollars
cheaper than the *identical* equipment at Sears that happened to have the
Kenmore brand on it instead of Whirlpool.

This wasn't a re-branded GE on the floor at Sears, this was the
identical same GE model.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to take a look at Kitchen
Aid and Whirlpool and visit Best Buys - I hadn't thought of them. As
for brands, there has been tremendous consolidation in the refrigerator
business in recent years. I can't remember what brands are owned by
who but I was astonished to find how many brands are owned now by
single companies. My impression is that refrigerators have lost in
reliability over the years while gaining in features. I can do without
the latter, personally. Dorian

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dorian" wrote in message
ups.com...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to take a look at Kitchen
Aid and Whirlpool and visit Best Buys - I hadn't thought of them. As
for brands, there has been tremendous consolidation in the refrigerator
business in recent years. I can't remember what brands are owned by
who but I was astonished to find how many brands are owned now by
single companies. My impression is that refrigerators have lost in
reliability over the years while gaining in features. I can do without
the latter, personally. Dorian

You really should open the yellow pages and find one or two small locally
owned stores which have their own service department. Many of these stores
are part of a large buying consortium, so their prices are often just as low
as the big chains. And, if you ever need service, they'll actually remember
who you are.