Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing Machine Vibration Problem

We have a Whirlpool Gold Catalyst Three-Speed Electronic Washer Model
No. GSX9885JQ1, Serial No. CP4602130 installed in April 2003. On the
clothes washer's slowest spin cycle, vibration radiates out to 15'
enough to loosen drywall screws and cause moldings to separate at
seams. On the regular spin cycle, the vibration is awful.

The problem was obvious immediately. The dealer returned to check the
installation and leveling and said it was OK. Then we had a Whirlpool
service call and the technician said the machine was operating
properly.

The house was completed in April 2003. The 3,000 sq ft ground floor
is supported by an 8-course block foundation and TJI's over a crawl
space. The laundry room and clothes washer is located in an area
resting on an 18' TJI span supported on the foundation at each end.

To damp the vibration, we braced one of the two TJI's right under the
washer with a 4x4. There is some improvement but not enough. We are
looking for more ideas as to what can be done.

Should we try installing additional bracing under the TJI's in the
location of the washer: more 4x4's, several permanent jacks, concrete
block columns, etc.?

An additional possibility is to install vibration-absorbing pads. One
product aimed at the retail market can be seen at
http://www.kellettent.com/ (very slow loading website): the "LP-13
Shake Absorber® Vibration & Isolation Pad" described at
http://www.kellettent.com/mountingpads.html.

The IQS Directory lists many suppliers of vibration absorbers, but
they seem to be mostly industrial:
http://www.iqsdirectory.com/pagetwoads.aspx?CatID=187.

We would be grateful for any thoughts, ideas, suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Al B.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , wrote:
We have a Whirlpool Gold Catalyst Three-Speed Electronic Washer Model
No. GSX9885JQ1, Serial No. CP4602130 installed in April 2003. On the
clothes washer's slowest spin cycle, vibration radiates out to 15'
enough to loosen drywall screws and cause moldings to separate at
seams. On the regular spin cycle, the vibration is awful.

I suspect structural conditions in the home, rather than the washer. That's a
hell of a radius. Perhaps the washer is vibrating at, or close to, the
resonant frequency of some component of the structure.

The problem was obvious immediately. The dealer returned to check the
installation and leveling and said it was OK. Then we had a Whirlpool
service call and the technician said the machine was operating
properly.

The house was completed in April 2003. The 3,000 sq ft ground floor
is supported by an 8-course block foundation and TJI's over a crawl
space. The laundry room and clothes washer is located in an area
resting on an 18' TJI span supported on the foundation at each end.

That's a pretty long span! How deep are these joints, and how far apart on
center? Is there any bridging to brace adjacent joists against each other?

To damp the vibration, we braced one of the two TJI's right under the
washer with a 4x4. There is some improvement but not enough. We are
looking for more ideas as to what can be done.

If bracing one joist helps, it stands to reason that bracing two joists would
help more.

Should we try installing additional bracing under the TJI's in the
location of the washer: more 4x4's, several permanent jacks, concrete
block columns, etc.?

That would be my first step, yes -- 4x4s spanning not only the joists under
the washer, but also one more joist to each side, with jacks underneath. See
if that helps.

If my guess about resonance is correct, you do *not* want to put the 4x4s at a
distance from the end of the joist which is any integer reciprocal (1/2, 1/3,
1/4, etc) of the joist length, because the resonant frequency of such segments
would be merely the second, third, fourth, etc. harmonics of the resonant
frequency of the entire joist.

So for an 18-foot span, don't put your supports at 9', 6', 4'6", 3'7", 3',
2'7", 2'3", or 2' from either end.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Al B wrote:
We have a Whirlpool Gold Catalyst Three-Speed Electronic Washer Model
No. GSX9885JQ1, Serial No. CP4602130 installed in April 2003. On the
clothes washer's slowest spin cycle, vibration radiates out to 15'
enough to loosen drywall screws and cause moldings to separate at
seams. On the regular spin cycle, the vibration is awful.

The problem was obvious immediately. The dealer returned to check the
installation and leveling and said it was OK. Then we had a Whirlpool
service call and the technician said the machine was operating
properly.

W/O seeing it, obviously can't comment definitely, but that certainly
doesn't sound like what a "properly operating" washer spin cycle should
do. I'd have sent the thing back the first time if they couldn't get
it to run smoothly, but that is obviously too late after over 2 yeears.
Still, the easiest/most satisfactory solution might be to just get a
new washer.

If the washer really isn't any more imbalanced and causing more
vibration than in a normal washer spin cycle, then the underlying
structure may be amplifying the input by hitting a resonance. In that
case, figuring out a mode of motion and stiffening the structure to
shift that could help.

I suppose one could manage to build a cradle to hold a base platform
and suspend it from a flexible strap (like, say, a muffler hanger) to
isolate the machine from the floor, but seems like a lot of work to get
around what sounds like a manufacturing or design defect.

I guess one could try to check to see if there are any consumer
complaints on this particular model and I would definitely contact the
manufacturer directly starting w/ the complaint place and moving on up
the feeding chain until I got a satisfactory response. Such things
need to be in writing, not just phone calls, to have any chance of
being effective. Again, by waiting this long, you've kinda' lost some
leverage.

Also, guess you could do a few simple diagnostics tests -- disconnect
the drive belt and run the motor alone to make sure it's balanced.
Check the belt for defects and the pulleys for roundness. Rotate the
tub and check for concentricity there. Make sure the dampening system
is actually working. Don't know what Whirlpool uses in theirs these
days, old systems often had a weight on a sling. Someone already
mentioned that such systems were typically strapped down for shpping --
despite a service call, it's still possible you got a dummy and he
didn't catch something even that obvious.

One last consoling thought -- If it is really this bad, seems like it
would tear itself apart in a fairly short time, so you can get it gone
soon, anyway!

Just some semi-random semi-ideas....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al B wrote:
We have a Whirlpool Gold Catalyst Three-Speed Electronic Washer Model
No. GSX9885JQ1, Serial No. CP4602130 installed in April 2003. On the
clothes washer's slowest spin cycle, vibration radiates out to 15'
enough to loosen drywall screws and cause moldings to separate at
seams. On the regular spin cycle, the vibration is awful.

Try running the washer through its cycles, first with no water, then with.
This should eliminate any possibility that the load is the culprit.

In both these tests you should be able to balance a coin on edge throughout
the entire washing process. Well, maybe not a coin, but you get the idea.

If the machne shudders like the hinges on the gates of Hell, you should call
Whirlpool and fuss like the third monkey on Noah's gangplank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "HeyBub" wrote:
Al B wrote:
We have a Whirlpool Gold Catalyst Three-Speed Electronic Washer Model
No. GSX9885JQ1, Serial No. CP4602130 installed in April 2003. On the
clothes washer's slowest spin cycle, vibration radiates out to 15'
enough to loosen drywall screws and cause moldings to separate at
seams. On the regular spin cycle, the vibration is awful.

Try running the washer through its cycles, first with no water, then with.
This should eliminate any possibility that the load is the culprit.

First, let's verify that the washer is in fact the culprit in any way -- at
least one other person besides me has suggested the possibility of a resonance
with the structure.

To the OP: take your washer out to the driveway, where it's sitting on a
solid, hard surface. Run an extension cord to it. Fill it with water from a
garden hose or a bucket, point the drain hose out into the yard, and put it on
regular spin.

If it walks across the driveway, then make a fuss at Whirlpool.

If it stays put... the problem is most likely structural: a resonance with the
floor joists, or a defective joist, or underengineered construction.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

Likely a defective design that leaves the clothes bunched up on one
side when it spins.

Meanwhile, jack up your floor about 3/8 to 1/2 inch under the washer
and the vibration should stop. You might crack some sheetrock but
not enough where a little paint won't cover it.

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:46:19 -0500, Al B wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

You need to know the story about the cat that walked across the
suspension bridge. The harmonics of the footsteps were amplified and
destroyed the bridge.

That just may be what is happening with that machine and your floor.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DK wrote:
You need to know the story about the cat that walked across the
suspension bridge. The harmonics of the footsteps were amplified and
destroyed the bridge.

_I'd_ like to know about that one...

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Al B wrote:
We have a Whirlpool Gold Catalyst Three-Speed Electronic Washer Model
No. GSX9885JQ1, Serial No. CP4602130 installed in April 2003. On the
clothes washer's slowest spin cycle, vibration radiates out to 15'
enough to loosen drywall screws and cause moldings to separate at
seams. On the regular spin cycle, the vibration is awful.

Try running the washer through its cycles, first with no water, then with.
This should eliminate any possibility that the load is the culprit.

In both these tests you should be able to balance a coin on edge throughout
the entire washing process. Well, maybe not a coin, but you get the idea.

If the machne shudders like the hinges on the gates of Hell, you should call
Whirlpool and fuss like the third monkey on Noah's gangplank.

You get a problem and the repairman blames YOU.

It's so insulting.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On 18 Dec 2006 13:19:33 -0800, "dpb" wrote:

DK wrote:
You need to know the story about the cat that walked across the
suspension bridge. The harmonics of the footsteps were amplified and
destroyed the bridge.

_I'd_ like to know about that one...

Here you go:

How Resonance Can Break a Bridge

The power of resonance goes beyond shattering a glass or torturing
eardrums with feedback; it can actually destroy large structures.
There is an old folk saying that a cat can destroy a bridge if it
walks across it in a certain way. This may or may not be true, but it
is certainly conceivable that a group of soldiers marching across a
bridge can cause it to crumble, even though it is capable of holding
much more than their weight, if the rhythm of their synchronized
footsteps resonates with the natural frequency of the bridge. For this
reason, officers or sergeants typically order their troops to do
something very unmilitary—to march out of step—when crossing a bridge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DK wrote:
You need to know the story about the cat that walked across the
suspension bridge. The harmonics of the footsteps were amplified and
destroyed the bridge.

_I'd_ like to know about that one...

Here you go:

How Resonance Can Break a Bridge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lQaIdDI5OE

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike1975 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...em-176892-.htm
:
I had a similar problem with my LG Front Loading washer model WM0742H.
The only thing that I could find that really stopped the vibrations easily
were Silent Feet. They are special vibration isolation pads designed
specifically for washing machines and dryers. I ordered them online from
Amazon.com but you can buy them from their company site too:
www.VibrationSolution.com. After installing them and running a load of
clothes, I noticed that almost all the vibrations and much of the noise
was gone.

-Mike

[...]

washing machine problem [email protected] Home Repair 1 August 19th 06 11:56 PM
Washing Machine Problem Grumps UK diy 7 November 6th 05 09:40 PM
Washing machine problem Dinah Home Repair 7 August 13th 05 05:02 AM
Washing Machine Problem Dorot29701 Home Repair 1 December 22nd 04 07:34 PM
Washing machine - bad vibration problem Dave Jennings UK diy 19 November 25th 03 07:44 PM