Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

Default Washing Machine Vibration Problem

Likely a defective design that leaves the clothes bunched up on one
side when it spins.

Meanwhile, jack up your floor about 3/8 to 1/2 inch under the washer
and the vibration should stop. You might crack some sheetrock but
not enough where a little paint won't cover it.

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:46:19 -0500, Al B wrote:

We have a Whirlpool Gold Catalyst Three-Speed Electronic Washer Model
No. GSX9885JQ1, Serial No. CP4602130 installed in April 2003. On the
clothes washer's slowest spin cycle, vibration radiates out to 15'
enough to loosen drywall screws and cause moldings to separate at
seams. On the regular spin cycle, the vibration is awful.

The problem was obvious immediately. The dealer returned to check the
installation and leveling and said it was OK. Then we had a Whirlpool
service call and the technician said the machine was operating
properly.

The house was completed in April 2003. The 3,000 sq ft ground floor
is supported by an 8-course block foundation and TJI's over a crawl
space. The laundry room and clothes washer is located in an area
resting on an 18' TJI span supported on the foundation at each end.

To damp the vibration, we braced one of the two TJI's right under the
washer with a 4x4. There is some improvement but not enough. We are
looking for more ideas as to what can be done.

Should we try installing additional bracing under the TJI's in the
location of the washer: more 4x4's, several permanent jacks, concrete
block columns, etc.?

An additional possibility is to install vibration-absorbing pads. One
product aimed at the retail market can be seen at
http://www.kellettent.com/ (very slow loading website): the "LP-13
Shake Absorber® Vibration & Isolation Pad" described at
http://www.kellettent.com/mountingpads.html.

The IQS Directory lists many suppliers of vibration absorbers, but
they seem to be mostly industrial:
http://www.iqsdirectory.com/pagetwoads.aspx?CatID=187.

We would be grateful for any thoughts, ideas, suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Al B.