Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.building.landscape,alt.home.repair

Default 12 volt landscape wiring diagrams ???

I have one 300 watt transformer. I want to feed 6, 50 watt bulbs.

the transformer has two outputs, to balance the load. So, I will be using
(2) 150 watt outputs.

So, on each circuit, I will have 3 fixtures, each using 50 watt bulbs.
What I am trying to determine is how to "balance" the fixtures. I know that
the fixture nearest the transformer would have the most voltage, and those
on the end, less voltage.

I want to keep the fixtures wired in parallell, so I don't want to use a
loop. I "think" that I may want to use a "T" hookup, where the
main feed goes out to a "T" , and the "T" feeds the three bulbs. But as
I say, I don't know how to "balance" this.

Some time ago I had a good website that had some diagrams of differenct ways
this can be done. I even went to the Malibu website, but could not find the
info I need.

Can anyone point me to a good website for this, or offer any advice ?

Thank you very much !!

--james--

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.building.landscape,alt.home.repair

James wrote:
[...]

Games I like to play!

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.building.landscape,alt.home.repair

"James" no wrote in message

I have one 300 watt transformer. I want to feed 6, 50 watt bulbs.

the transformer has two outputs, to balance the load. So, I will be
using (2) 150 watt outputs.

So, on each circuit, I will have 3 fixtures, each using 50 watt bulbs.
What I am trying to determine is how to "balance" the fixtures. I know
that the fixture nearest the transformer would have the most voltage, and
those on the end, less voltage.

I want to keep the fixtures wired in parallell, so I don't want to use a
loop. I "think" that I may want to use a "T" hookup, where the
main feed goes out to a "T" , and the "T" feeds the three bulbs. But
as I say, I don't know how to "balance" this.

Some time ago I had a good website that had some diagrams of differenct
ways this can be done. I even went to the Malibu website, but could not
find the info I need.

Some points:

quality.
2/ The voltage drop can be ignored ... the fixture near or far will be close
to the same voltage (unless your system uses wire that is too small).
3/ Parallel is your only choice, unless you change the voltage ratings of
the loads. e.g., if the transformer secondary is 12 volts, and the bulbs
are 12 volts, then all of the bulbs must be wired in parallel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When you say "balance" the fixtures I am assuming you mean
to have the same voltage at each fixture. If that is what you mean
then you can do is just run two equal length wires out to the
"T" and six equal length wires out from the "T"'s
three off each "T". Also, you will need two "T"'s
at each junction.

___________________________________
Home Improvement Forum
http://www.spicyhome.com

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.building.landscape,alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
We've found the best way to "balance" is to experiment with different
wattages of bulbs. Less watt bulbs near the source and bigger watt bulbs
farther away.

Nope. If the wires are big enough, the voltage is consistent near and far.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.building.landscape,alt.home.repair

Thanks for the replies.

More info: The wire size is 12 gauge, and the lengths are only 50 ft
each.

I will not be experimenting with bulbs..... the criteria is 6 50 watt
bulbs. Three bulbs on each 150 watt tap.

Yes, I do realize that loading a 300 watt transformer rated for 300 watts
is ok. Otherwise, why would it have a rating, right ?

It sounds like what you are saying is that at least on fairly short runs,
the voltage drop is not that great, especially if the runs are short. Is
that the consensus ??

Thanks again for all the comments. Keep them coming !!

--James--

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.building.landscape,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 20:54:34 -0500, "James" no
wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

More info: The wire size is 12 gauge, and the lengths are only 50 ft
each.

I will not be experimenting with bulbs..... the criteria is 6 50 watt
bulbs. Three bulbs on each 150 watt tap.

Yes, I do realize that loading a 300 watt transformer rated for 300 watts
is ok. Otherwise, why would it have a rating, right ?

His point was the opposite. That a low-quality transformer (or just
about anything) shouldn't be run at the limit of its rating.

It has a rating partly to get people to buy it, so there is an
incentive to make it sound better than it is. Sort of like AMD cpu's
for home computers have higher speeds attributed to them by AMD than
do Intel cpu's of the same speed. Intel sells on reputation. AMD had
to have a way to compete, so it exagerates its speed. (I know they
have a reasonable rationale for doing so, but the result is still that
the smae speed cpu is given a higher number by AMD.) Of course there
are no safety concerns.

It sounds like what you are saying is that at least on fairly short runs,
the voltage drop is not that great, especially if the runs are short. Is
that the consensus ??

Definitely. You could leafve coiled 50 or 100 feet of cable, and
connect one end to power and another to 150 watt lightbulb, or 3 50's
and use an AC voltmeter to measure the voltage on the same conductor
from the one end of the 50 feet to the other, and it will be
minuscule. Maybe an AC meter wouldn't do it. I'm confused. But
there is some way to measure it.

Thanks again for all the comments. Keep them coming !!

--James--

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.building.landscape,alt.home.repair

James wrote:
[...]

Try this website:
http://www.residential-landscape-lig...to_12_volt.htm
It has a diagram using the "T" connectors you describe.

When I did my low voltage lighting I just layed the cable and clipped
on the lights making sure the first light was at least 12' from the
transformer. No problems. But, I'm only using 4W bulbs.

-Felder

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.building.landscape,alt.home.repair

Thanks for ALL replies, and special thanks to Felder for the website.
That was exactly what I was looking for !!

ALL other comments were helpful too !!

--James--

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.building.landscape,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't think that analogy is reasonable. AMD CPUs actually delivered
substantial gains in processing performance for equivalent clock speeds.
There was no "smoke and mirrors" and you actually got the performance
they advertised.

A poorly made transformer is simply a poorly made transformer. The
higher rating makes it sound better but is totally meaningless.

It sounds like what you are saying is that at least on fairly short runs,
the voltage drop is not that great, especially if the runs are short. Is
that the consensus ??

Definitely. You could leafve coiled 50 or 100 feet of cable, and
connect one end to power and another to 150 watt lightbulb, or 3 50's
and use an AC voltmeter to measure the voltage on the same conductor
from the one end of the 50 feet to the other, and it will be
minuscule. Maybe an AC meter wouldn't do it. I'm confused. But
there is some way to measure it.

Thanks again for all the comments. Keep them coming !!

--James--

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.building.landscape,alt.home.repair

Your only wiring option is 3 lamps on each tap. What you do beyond that
is of little consequence. 12 gu. is quite suitable.

If you can afford the wire to make a loop, I recommend it.
That will "balance" the voltage quite well. Otherwise voltage drop
won't be much of a problem for you.

Richard Reid, LC

James wrote:
Thanks for ALL replies, and special thanks to Felder for the website.
That was exactly what I was looking for !!

ALL other comments were helpful too !!

--James--

SERVICE MANUALS and WIRING DIAGRAMS [email protected] Home Repair 0 November 2nd 06 02:22 AM
SERVICE MANUALS and WIRING DIAGRAMS [email protected] Home Repair 0 October 11th 06 02:17 AM
SERVICE MANUALS and WIRING DIAGRAMS [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 September 30th 06 04:01 PM
landscape wiring bizee Home Repair 1 September 23rd 06 04:27 PM
UK wiring diagrams domestic [email protected] UK diy 28 September 4th 06 09:26 PM