Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Winter Pool Closing Question

My question is what defines a deep freeze?

A Deep Freeze is just a long period of 32 degrees or below. This will
freeze water that is not moving. By leaving your filter own you are
preventing a freeze.
The good thing is you have a concrete pool so no damage of the pool is
to be a concern. The concern is the filter system.

Now what we do with our stores' inground pool is we just drain it below
the skimmer and blow out all the pipes. We dont use a cover because
that can be a pain. You can do that but you do have to brush it. So i
say keep it open until you are finished brushing and then hire a pool
company to drain and blow out the pipes and put a temp. cover on
(optional) but that would be the safest bet. Note: Always keep your
filter running through out the night when it gets cold so that nothing
freezes. But during the day if its nice and the sun its ok to turn your
filter off if you are worried about your electric bill.

I hope this helps you in any way. If you have other questions feel free
to ask.

http://www.niagarapool.com

Boom Stick wrote:
We just had our inground pool completed about 4 weeks ago. The pool
is open so that we can brush the plaster as it cures. The PCC 2000
filter system runs 24x7. We have another 2 weeks (minimum) of
brushing recommended by our pool company. We live in Northern
Virginia where the temperature has been 50 - 60 during the day (now in
Dec) and 30's at night. The folks at our pool servicing company said
we may want to leave the pool open through the winter instead of
closing it up and reopening in 3/4 months. They said as long as there
is no deep freeze and the filter stays on continously we shouldn't
have a problem. My question is what defines a deep freeze? And is
this really safe on something I just spent a lot of money on?

Thanks - Bumstick

Posted to alt.home.repair

Boom Stick wrote:
We just had our inground pool completed about 4 weeks ago. The pool
is open so that we can brush the plaster as it cures. The PCC 2000
filter system runs 24x7. We have another 2 weeks (minimum) of
brushing recommended by our pool company. We live in Northern
Virginia where the temperature has been 50 - 60 during the day (now in
Dec) and 30's at night. The folks at our pool servicing company said
we may want to leave the pool open through the winter instead of
closing it up and reopening in 3/4 months. They said as long as there
is no deep freeze and the filter stays on continously we shouldn't
have a problem. My question is what defines a deep freeze? And is
this really safe on something I just spent a lot of money on?

Thanks - Bumstick

Deep freeze is sort of a variable term, but basically it means cold enough
long enough to freeze water completely solid.

Moving water doesn't freeze easily, so with the pump running properly you
could likely endure a 20 or lower degree overnight temp, but if it stays
that cold during the day, I'd keep an eye on the pool's inlets and skimmer
input, IF it's being used. I assume it's using the deep-end drain to suck
water out, so that's pretty sure to never freeze in your area.
In general, if the temps don't get much below freezing, say not less than
25 degrees, I doubt you'd have any problems. But then it's not my pool ;-)

Now, with a little dose of common sense and logic, I don't see anything in
your post that would justify running a pump 24/7 or that would require NOT
lowering the water level and properly closing the pool. A 1 HP electric
motor for "3 or 4" months is going to cost you a bit of change, plus you're
going to have to keep up with the chemical and PH balance for the occasional
sunny, warm days that do come along.

I know from experience here that it would be cheaper inthe long run, and a
lot less worry and stress and annoyance to pay for the pool to be closed
properly and properly winterized than to pay for all that electricity for no
good reason. That's not counting the unattended wear and tear on the pump
and filter, plus the occasional cold weather filter cleaning that will
happen two or three times over that long a period; more often depending on
the type of filter you have.

It sounds more like the contractor was in a hurry to get to the next paying
job to me, but ... who knows?
We have an inground diving pool in far upstate New York state. Yes, it's
closed and winterized. I do the opening/closing myself.

HTH
Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Boom Stick" wrote in message
We just had our inground pool completed about 4 weeks ago. The pool
is open so that we can brush the plaster as it cures. The PCC 2000
filter system runs 24x7. We have another 2 weeks (minimum) of
brushing recommended by our pool company. We live in Northern
Virginia where the temperature has been 50 - 60 during the day (now in
Dec) and 30's at night. The folks at our pool servicing company said
we may want to leave the pool open through the winter instead of
closing it up and reopening in 3/4 months. They said as long as there
is no deep freeze and the filter stays on continously we shouldn't
have a problem. My question is what defines a deep freeze? And is
this really safe on something I just spent a lot of money on?

Thanks - Bumstick

What in the world prompted you to finish a pool at the beginning of winter?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 12:13:11 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Boom Stick" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

they told me it would take until spring to finish. in retrospect - I
think the salesman just wanted to make a sale.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

Boom Stick wrote:
We just had our inground pool completed about 4 weeks ago. The pool
is open so that we can brush the plaster as it cures. The PCC 2000
filter system runs 24x7. We have another 2 weeks (minimum) of
brushing recommended by our pool company. We live in Northern
Virginia where the temperature has been 50 - 60 during the day (now in
Dec) and 30's at night. The folks at our pool servicing company said
we may want to leave the pool open through the winter instead of
closing it up and reopening in 3/4 months. They said as long as there
is no deep freeze and the filter stays on continously we shouldn't
have a problem. My question is what defines a deep freeze? And is
this really safe on something I just spent a lot of money on?

Thanks - Bumstick

When I bought our last house with pool, the previous owner kept the
pumps running
24/7. I did too for the first 3-4 years until we had weather down in
the teens, which was still fine until the power went out. Now I had to
deal with broken pipes and a cracked heater mainfold. After that I
always close the pool for winter. It's time well spent to not have to
worry about it, not to mention the waste of electricty.