Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Definition of a TROLL

In a recent message on this newsgroup someone asked what a troll is.

A troll can be someome who posts something outrageous or rediculous,
simply to get people outraged or excited, or start a flame war on the
group.

However, most of the time this word is used simply because someone
does not like or agree with something that was said on a newsgroup,
and this is their way of calling that person a LIAR or worse. In this
case, the REAL troll is the person who calls someone a "troll". This
word is often used and often over-used on Usenet and other public
discussion groups.

Unless there is strong evidense that the original message was an
attempt to incite others to argue, the best thing to do when someone
posts a message calling someone a troll, is to add this person to your
kill-file. This means to use your newsreader software's FILTER, and
simply add this person to the filter, thus removing all of their
messages in the future. The internet can be a friendly place, but in
many cases, it's full of idiots who only want to pick a fight online,
because they can not do it in real life.

If someone calls you or anyone else a troll. Filter them, and you
will never see their messages again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

On the other hand, a troll could be considered someone who posted the above
message and doesn't even know how to utilize a spell
checker.....................

Just my two cents ............

Steve

BTW ......................... plonk .......... bye bye .........

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in
:

wrote in message
[...]

Either way, the buck stops he http://i11.tinypic.com/2e3o3fr.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Definition of a TROLL

Lots of misinformation here so corrections are in order.

wrote:

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll for one set of definitions
if you're curious.

In a recent message on this newsgroup someone asked what a troll is.

A troll can be someome who posts something outrageous or rediculous,
simply to get people outraged or excited, or start a flame war on the
group.

No. A troll is someone who enjoys arguing and making people mad; they don't
usually do it with outrageous or ridiculous posts. In fact, the better
trolls often initiate a "normal" communication and then quickly take it off
topic and begins to feed on the irritations and arguements it can foster.
Trolls live and thrive on any controversey they can start, much as this
post, claiming to respond to a "recent message" but without any citation or
other clarifying/verifying evidence.
Basically, a troll thrives on the emotions it creates in other people and
becomes satiated after a good set of responses putting it down. The best
way to kill and otherwise infuriate a troll is to ignore it, which I should
do but I find a certain entertainment value in at least seeing that the real
information gets posted at least once in this thread. Which is off topic,
BTW, and should have been marked so by the originator but wasn't; another
trollish type of action. I'm not saying the originator of this post IS a
troll; I'm simply making references.

However, most of the time this word is used simply because someone
does not like or agree with something that was said on a newsgroup,
and this is their way of calling that person a LIAR or worse.

No. "Most of the time" the word is properly used. One has to wonder why
the word "liar" had to be emphasized loudly here too.

In this
case, the REAL troll is the person who calls someone a "troll".

No. That's not true, either; it's an opinion you have and that's all. You
probably should also look up flames and responsed to flames to see what
those are; you don't seem to know.

This
word is often used and often over-used on Usenet and other public
discussion groups.

Duhhh, yeah, it is, simply because, well, that's where "trolls" and
"trolling" came into syntax. So, uhh, well, ...

Unless there is strong evidense that the original message was an
attempt to incite others to argue, the best thing to do when someone
posts a message calling someone a troll, is to add this person to your
kill-file.

No. The "best thing" IMO is to simply ignore the troll and not let them
bother you. When you let a troll bother you, you have turned over control
to it. Since true trolls change names, servers, etc., it's often useless to
killfile them, and besides, killfiles don't stop you from seeing their posts
in other people's responses. IF a troll is bothering a person that much,
they should look for a better newsgroup, preferably moderated, or even one
of the millions of forums that exist.
Ignoring a troll not only makes it mad, but it prevents its feeding off
other's emotions also and when there's no food to sustain it, it will go
elsewhere looking for others it might be able to control. In the end, the
troll has control issues and must feed off the emotions of others in order
to satisfy its hunger.

This means to use your newsreader software's FILTER, and
simply add this person to the filter, thus removing all of their
messages in the future.

Wrong. It won't do that. Their words will still exist in any post of
anyone who responds to the troll. All you'll miss it their first posting if
you aren't careful. Better to just ignore it and know you're annoying the
hell out of it by doing so. Sometimes, one response and the total silence
will really infuriate them. Expect a spate of name calling and then finally
silence when it starves itself to death.

The internet can be a friendly place, but in
many cases, it's full of idiots who only want to pick a fight online,
because they can not do it in real life.

That's not true, either. Some pretty dangerous people have been trolls, and
good ones at that. Do the right research and you can read a lot about them
written by the FBI and several other law enforcment agencies.

If someone calls you or anyone else a troll. Filter them, and you
will never see their messages again.

Why let them control your life like that? Just ignore them and bask in the
delight of a PO'd troll who goes hungry. g

That's my 2 cents anyway; don't look for me to post/respond in this thread
again because I'm not going to bother; I've had my say and straightened the
record to the best of my abilities, such as they may be.

Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote

Either way, the buck stops he http://i11.tinypic.com/2e3o3fr.jpg

Looks like a sure way to make a million.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Look, you retards on this group are the biggest bunch of idiots. I
mean, it's worse than gun control. I wouldn't trust any of you at a
thousand meters with a staple gun, you are all so dangerous. I'd
likely get my head blown off, while you are busy reciting the mantra
for NRA "it's always loaded ...... mmmmm ....... it's always loaded
.......... ........ mmmmmm"

If any of you half brained idiots can prove that I've ever written
anything slightly less than serious and on topic (on this usenet group
or any other usenet group) I'll ship you my computer postpaid, and
never email or post again.

If you can't, then I'll expect a personal apology from each and every
one of you who ever did me wrong. You know who you are, I can see you
crawling under rocks out there. You can't fool me!

And, just to prove this isn't a troll post, I'll even sign it with my
real name.

--

Jack Booted Kitten Stomper #13
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Look, you retards on this group are the biggest bunch of idiots. I
mean, it's worse than gun control. I wouldn't trust any of you at a
thousand meters with a staple gun, you are all so dangerous. I'd
likely get my head blown off, while you are busy reciting the mantra
for NRA "it's always loaded ...... mmmmm ....... it's always loaded
......... ........ mmmmmm"

If any of you half brained idiots can prove that I've ever written
anything slightly less than serious and on topic (on this usenet group
or any other usenet group) I'll ship you my computer postpaid, and
never email or post again.

Hmm, have you read your own original post? That's pretty good proof.

Let me know when you're ready to ship.

If you can't, then I'll expect a personal apology from each and every
one of you who ever did me wrong. You know who you are, I can see you
crawling under rocks out there. You can't fool me!

And, just to prove this isn't a troll post, I'll even sign it with my
real name.

Posted to alt.home.repair

See! I knew you couldn't do it! I win!

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Pop`" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Look, you retards on this group are the biggest bunch of idiots. I
mean, it's worse than gun control. I wouldn't trust any of you at a
thousand meters with a staple gun, you are all so dangerous.

LOL! Like that one:-)

I'd
likely get my head blown off, while you are busy reciting the mantra
for NRA "it's always loaded ...... mmmmm ....... it's always loaded
......... ........ mmmmmm"

If any of you half brained idiots can prove that I've ever written
anything slightly less than serious and on topic (on this usenet group
or any other usenet group) I'll ship you my computer postpaid, and
never email or post again.

If you can't, then I'll expect a personal apology from each and every
one of you who ever did me wrong. You know who you are, I can see you
crawling under rocks out there. You can't fool me!

And, just to prove this isn't a troll post, I'll even sign it with my
real name.

OT Definition, please Mary Fisher UK diy 23 October 29th 06 03:15 PM
SELV a definition? ARWadsworth UK diy 14 May 12th 06 08:11 PM
OT - Definition of Incompetence gfulton Metalworking 0 September 8th 05 02:34 PM
Term definition foggytown Woodworking 17 May 30th 05 11:03 PM
It's idiots like YOU, not the troll doing the disrupting. Troll disrupting rec.photo.*, alt.bible.prophecy, rec.woodworking, sci.med Loren Coe Woodworking 0 September 30th 03 02:05 AM