foggytown

Default Term definition

Anyone know when a linear channel stops being a groove and starts being
a dado?

FoggyTown

tom

Foggytown wrote: Anyone know when a linear channel stops being a groove
and starts being
a dado?
groove is usually with the grain, dado against. Tom

George

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
Foggytown wrote: Anyone know when a linear channel stops being a groove
and starts being
a dado?
groove is usually with the grain, dado against. Tom

Weeeeeeellll. No.

A Dado goes _across_ the grain, a plow cut along it whether with or against.
If one side of either is open, it's a rabbet.

dadiOH

George wrote:
"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
Foggytown wrote: Anyone know when a linear channel stops being a
groove and starts being
a dado?
groove is usually with the grain, dado against. Tom

Weeeeeeellll. No.

A Dado goes _across_ the grain

Weeeeeeeellll, isn't that what he said??

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

George

"dadiOH" wrote in message
George wrote:
"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
Foggytown wrote: Anyone know when a linear channel stops being a
groove and starts being
a dado?
groove is usually with the grain, dado against. Tom

Weeeeeeellll. No.

A Dado goes _across_ the grain

Weeeeeeeellll, isn't that what he said??

--

Sure. Read much?

Phisherman

On 29 May 2005 09:34:52 -0700, "foggytown" wrote:

Anyone know when a linear channel stops being a groove and starts being
a dado?

FoggyTown

Groove is cut along the wood grain.
Dado is cut across the wood grain.
Either one can be wide or narrow.
Hax Planx

George says...

Sure. Read much?

You covered dado and rabbet and added another seldom used term, but what
is a groove and how does it compare to a dado?
Hax Planx

foggytown says...

Anyone know when a linear channel stops being a groove and starts being
a dado?

FoggyTown

I agree with Tom, but these days dado is used for both dado and groove
with very few exceptions. It kind of makes sense, because for man made
materials, the distinction loses meaning. No matter which direction you
dado (or groove) plywood, some part of the cutting will be both across
and with the grain. Particle board and MDF don't have any grain at all.
Even with real wood it is pretty much useless to have two terms now that
we can use the same power tools to do either one. In the days when
everybody used Roy Underhill tools, I'm sure it was a much more useful
distinction.
Ollie

Hey, this was an easy one - you can google or guru it and observe the
following:

groove (gruv)
n.
1.. A long narrow furrow or channel.
2.. The spiral track cut into a phonograph record for the stylus to
follow.
3.. Slang. A settled routine: got into the groove of a nine-to-five job.
4.. Slang. A situation or an activity that one enjoys or to which one is
especially well suited: found his groove playing bass in a trio.
5.. Slang. A very pleasurable experience.
da·do (da'do)
n., pl. -does.
1.. Architecture. The section of a pedestal between base and surbase.
2.. The lower portion of the wall of a room, decorated differently from
the upper section, as with panels.
3..
1.. A rectangular groove cut into a board so that a like piece may be
fitted into it.
2.. The groove so cut.
In other words, dado is still a groove, but not all grooes are dadoes. If
you will fit a piece into groove - voila you got a dado.

Cheers, Ollie

"foggytown" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone know when a linear channel stops being a groove and starts being
a dado?

FoggyTown

LRod

On 29 May 2005 09:34:52 -0700, "foggytown" wrote:

Anyone know when a linear channel stops being a groove and starts being
a dado?

Isn't anyone going to mention the gain?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

charlie b

Hax Planx wrote:

foggytown says...

Anyone know when a linear channel stops being a groove and starts being
a dado?

FoggyTown

I agree with Tom, but these days dado is used for both dado and groove
with very few exceptions. It kind of makes sense, because for man made
materials, the distinction loses meaning. No matter which direction you
dado (or groove) plywood, some part of the cutting will be both across
and with the grain. Particle board and MDF don't have any grain at all.
Even with real wood it is pretty much useless to have two terms now that
we can use the same power tools to do either one. In the days when
everybody used Roy Underhill tools, I'm sure it was a much more useful
distinction.

Yup - one benefits from a "knicker". Someone no doubt will tell
you which one and why. Mr. Knight?

charlie b
Edwin Pawlowski

Hax Planx wrote:

I agree with Tom, but these days dado is used for both dado and groove
with very few exceptions. It kind of makes sense, because for man made
materials, the distinction loses meaning. No matter which direction you
dado (or groove) plywood, some part of the cutting will be both across
and with the grain.

Not only that, you can buy a variety of "Dado" blades for table saws, but
they don't make "groove" blades. If they weren't all dadoes, they call the
blades by another name, right?

George

"Hax Planx" wrote in message
.net...
George says...

Sure. Read much?

You covered dado and rabbet and added another seldom used term, but what
is a groove and how does it compare to a dado?

Typing too fast for you?

A dado is cut across the grain.
A plow is cut along the grain.

It's just what they're called. Convention gives us precision.

Else you sound like the wife and her thingamajig to the doohickey
explanation.

Dave Mundt

Greetings and salutations...

On Mon, 30 May 2005 08:24:19 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

"Hax Planx" wrote in message
t.net...
George says...

Sure. Read much?

You covered dado and rabbet and added another seldom used term, but what
is a groove and how does it compare to a dado?

Typing too fast for you?

A dado is cut across the grain.
A plow is cut along the grain.

It's just what they're called. Convention gives us precision.

Hum...while it sounds like we are in the midst of a tempest
in a teacup, I thought I would toss in MY view of reality too
(*smile*).
My terminology has always been this:
Rabbet - A 2-sided groove on the EDGE of the stock.
Dado - A 3-sided groove through a FACE of the stock.
Groove - A channel cut into the stock. (this includes
incised patterns, etc).
Really, though, for me the only important ones are the
first two.

Else you sound like the wife and her thingamajig to the doohickey
explanation.

Haw! This is most certainly true! While that CAN
be appropriate, it always seems to require a few more cycles
of questions and answers to clarify.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Hax Planx

George says...

Typing too fast for you?

A dado is cut across the grain.
A plow is cut along the grain.

It's just what they're called. Convention gives us precision.

Else you sound like the wife and her thingamajig to the doohickey
explanation.

You're funny, George. If your own reading comprehension is so flawless,
then why haven't you answered the question? If you think the term
'groove' isn't an appropriate woodworking term, then for the love of
Pete say so.

George

"Hax Planx" wrote in message
.net...
George says...

Typing too fast for you?

A dado is cut across the grain.
A plow is cut along the grain.

It's just what they're called. Convention gives us precision.

Else you sound like the wife and her thingamajig to the doohickey
explanation.

You're funny, George. If your own reading comprehension is so flawless,
then why haven't you answered the question? If you think the term
'groove' isn't an appropriate woodworking term, then for the love of
Pete say so.

I answered the question - twice. A groove is a groove. I can cut a groove
with a router bit that's shaped almost any way they grind 'em, but I don't
put the edges of boards in them.

tom

George wrote: I can cut a groove
with a router bit that's shaped almost any way they grind 'em, but I
don't
put the edges of boards in them.

Ever make a
tongue and plow joint? I appreciate the semantics involved in your
previous answers, kinda like, "all Cognac is brandy, but not all brandy
is Cognac". I'm sure the OP has too much information by now! Tom

George

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
George wrote: I can cut a groove
with a router bit that's shaped almost any way they grind 'em, but I
don't
put the edges of boards in them.

Ever make a
tongue and plow joint? I appreciate the semantics involved in your
previous answers, kinda like, "all Cognac is brandy, but not all brandy
is Cognac". I'm sure the OP has too much information by now! Tom

If I did, I'd use a plow plane!

What is so difficult here? Standard terminology makes direct communication
possible. I corrected "against the grain" to across, and noted that either
a plow or dado cut open on one side was called a rabbet (rebate to blokes).
NONE of which is incorrect.

Why people can't or won't use standard terminology puzzles me. Makes you
wonder how little actual study of woodworking, much less the tasks
themselves, they've done before coming here and spouting....