Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clips for recessed lights

Hi,

Is there an easier way to install a recessed light than having to use
the clips that usually come with the package to keep the bracket in
place and secure. I had to remove some recessed lights to check the
wiring recently, and it was extremely difficult. I could not get these
clips off. Eventually i was able to get the recessed light fixture
out, but had done a bit of damge to the bracket in trying to get the
clips out. The clips are basically useless now as well (they are all
bent up).

If there are no other options than to use these clips, where would i be
able to purchase replacement clips for these? Can these be purchased
at places like Home Depot, or do they need to be ordered from the
manufacturer of the fixture bracket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

farseer wrote:
Hi,

Is there an easier way to install a recessed light than having to use
the clips that usually come with the package to keep the bracket in
place and secure. I had to remove some recessed lights to check the
wiring recently, and it was extremely difficult. I could not get these
clips off. Eventually i was able to get the recessed light fixture
out, but had done a bit of damge to the bracket in trying to get the
clips out. The clips are basically useless now as well (they are all
bent up).

If there are no other options than to use these clips, where would i be
able to purchase replacement clips for these? Can these be purchased
at places like Home Depot, or do they need to be ordered from the
manufacturer of the fixture bracket.

More than likely your hi-hat is in between 2 joists. What I did was
take a long screw like about 3" or 4", depending how far away the joist
is, and screw the hi-hat directly to the joist by screwing it through
the hole that the clip was in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Dec 2006 08:50:33 -0800, "farseer"
wrote:

Hi,

Is there an easier way to install a recessed light than having to use
the clips that usually come with the package to keep the bracket in
place and secure. I had to remove some recessed lights to check the
wiring recently, and it was extremely difficult. I could not get these
clips off. Eventually i was able to get the recessed light fixture
out, but had done a bit of damge to the bracket in trying to get the
clips out. The clips are basically useless now as well (they are all
bent up).

If there are no other options than to use these clips, where would i be
able to purchase replacement clips for these? Can these be purchased
at places like Home Depot, or do they need to be ordered from the
manufacturer of the fixture bracket.

IMHO:

One thing that helped me when removing the lights, after installing,
slide the clip down as low as possible without tryinjg to retract it,
then use a sharp screwdriver to pry it back. This is what I did.

As for replacement, I thought I saw the, but not sure where. Call
around.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You don't mention a brand, but Lightolier, Progress, and Atlite all use a
similar clip, which you can buy by the bag at any electrical supply that
sells their products.

"farseer" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Is there an easier way to install a recessed light than having to use
the clips that usually come with the package to keep the bracket in
place and secure. I had to remove some recessed lights to check the
wiring recently, and it was extremely difficult. I could not get these
clips off. Eventually i was able to get the recessed light fixture
out, but had done a bit of damge to the bracket in trying to get the
clips out. The clips are basically useless now as well (they are all
bent up).

If there are no other options than to use these clips, where would i be
able to purchase replacement clips for these? Can these be purchased
at places like Home Depot, or do they need to be ordered from the
manufacturer of the fixture bracket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all. Really appreciate the patience and quick responses
provided ont his forum/group.

"farseer" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Is there an easier way to install a recessed light than having to use
the clips that usually come with the package to keep the bracket in
place and secure. I had to remove some recessed lights to check the
wiring recently, and it was extremely difficult. I could not get these
clips off. Eventually i was able to get the recessed light fixture
out, but had done a bit of damge to the bracket in trying to get the
clips out. The clips are basically useless now as well (they are all
bent up).

If there are no other options than to use these clips, where would i be
able to purchase replacement clips for these? Can these be purchased
at places like Home Depot, or do they need to be ordered from the
manufacturer of the fixture bracket.

Recessed Lights to Pendant Lights Jim Jacobs Home Repair 3 April 15th 06 10:18 PM
Recessed Lights Dave Combs Home Repair 6 March 23rd 06 07:22 PM
Dimmer For LV Recessed Lights Dean Home Repair 3 August 4th 05 04:41 PM
Recessed Lights a12vman Home Repair 3 March 25th 05 10:29 PM
how many recessed lights to a circuit? SaM Home Repair 3 August 29th 04 04:28 PM