Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need Elec. Advice

I am going to have a 200amp. heavy up done , but later plan to add to
Garage/worshop area. What type of wire is suitable for use of air compressor
rated @ 20amp. also would like to add overhead flurosent light, run power
saws grinder etc. Should I have dedicated circuits, please advise best route
to go.
Thanks Woody2

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Woody2 wrote:
I am going to have a 200amp. heavy up done , but later plan to add to
Garage/worshop area. What type of wire is suitable for use of air compressor
rated @ 20amp. also would like to add overhead flurosent light, run power
saws grinder etc. Should I have dedicated circuits, please advise best route
to go.
Thanks Woody2

For a workshop area, I would plan on having several spare 20A breakers
available for installation of outlets etc. the more circuits the better
just in case you end up having a helper working in there with you and
you end up using two or more appliances simultaneously.

I'd keep the lighting separate from the receps. because eventually you
will trip a breaker no matter how well you plan, and it sucks finding
the door in the dark.

good luck

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Run a heavy cable to the workshop and install a sub-panel in the workshop to
feed each circuit that you require.

N8N wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If the compressor draws 20 amps, you will need a 30 amp cable to feed it.
That would be 10gauge wire. From what you describe of your shop, you would
do well to run a 6/3 feed from the main and install something like an 8
circuit sub panel in the shop, then run the machine outlets and lights from
the sub

"Woody2" u30143@uwe wrote in message news:6a9d3a4aaaca2@uwe...
I am going to have a 200amp. heavy up done , but later plan to add to
Garage/worshop area. What type of wire is suitable for use of air
compressor
rated @ 20amp. also would like to add overhead flurosent light, run power
saws grinder etc. Should I have dedicated circuits, please advise best
route
to go.
Thanks Woody2

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM (remove this) wrote:
If the compressor draws 20 amps, you will need a 30 amp cable to feed it.
That would be 10gauge wire. From what you describe of your shop, you would
do well to run a 6/3 feed from the main and install something like an 8
circuit sub panel in the shop, then run the machine outlets and lights from
the sub

"Woody2" u30143@uwe wrote in message news:6a9d3a4aaaca2@uwe...
I am going to have a 200amp. heavy up done , but later plan to add to
Garage/workshop area. What type of wire is suitable for use of air
compressor
rated @ 20amp. also would like to add overhead fluorescent light, run power
saws grinder etc. Should I have dedicated circuits, please advise best
route
to go.
Thanks Woody2

If compressor 'draws' 20 amps at 230 volts that's 4600 watts,
suggesting a fairly heavy motor (5 HP) etc. Or at 115 volts that's 2300
watts possibly a 3 or 3 HP motor?
In either case the starting current surge could be considerable! and
voltage drop over 100 feet (one way????) so that could be 200 feet of
current carrying conductors. Along with compressor will be other
devices; lights etc. Possibly as much current draw as a whole house?

Single Woman needs elec advice orfbound Home Repair 19 November 9th 06 04:17 AM
Elec Question Don Dando Woodworking 3 March 18th 06 04:10 PM
How much to charge for elec testing? Peter Scott UK diy 15 August 31st 05 03:58 PM
Elec. subpanel question Martin Home Repair 7 June 9th 05 08:26 PM
Elec. Regs. query mark b UK diy 3 February 1st 05 04:51 PM