Peter Scott

Default How much to charge for elec testing?

I have enrolled for an electrical testing course. This is mostly
to allow me to make changes to my own and other family members'
installations and then to test them. However I think that there is a
market for testing other people's work and making money. I was
chatting to a CORGI installer acquaintance who said he was
interested. This also seems a good way out for d-i-yers who can
still save a lot of money by doing a better job themselves even after paying
me!

Question is how much to charge? I think d-i-yers would welcome
fixed charges for a ring main, a lighting circuit and so on. Obviously a
full
test would have to be done on an estimate and hourly rate basis. What
do you folk think you would accept as a fair charge? Does anyone have
any experience of paying or charging and any feelings about the rates? Is
anyone else doing this or about to? Just in case there is a problem over
competition and proximity I am in Northern Norfolk. BTW I won't do the
exam until December so can't do any testing yet.

*This message is not trawling for business.* As I said my original motive
was
for diy alone. However I think I might be able to help other people and
might even inspire others to do the same.

Peter Scott

Scanned for viruses using Norton 2005 before sending

Dark Angel

"Peter Scott" wrote in message...
I have enrolled for an electrical testing course. This is mostly
to allow me to make changes to my own and other family members'
installations and then to test them.

Ummm, you do realise that even if you're qualified you've still got to be a
member of an approved "self-certification" (Part P) scheme? Which will cost
you somewhere in the region of £2000 pa to belong to, and before you can
join have to have been trading for 2 years. Which creates a bit of a
"chicken and egg" situation.

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)

Matt

"Peter Scott" wrote:

and might even inspire others to do the same.

No, anyone with any sense will simply stick two fingers up at Prescott
and say the work was done before Part P came in.

Haven't you noticed old colour cable prices are going through the
roof?

:-)

raden

In message , Matt
writes
"Peter Scott" wrote:

and might even inspire others to do the same.

No, anyone with any sense will simply stick two fingers up at Prescott
and say the work was done before Part P came in.

Haven't you noticed old colour cable prices are going through the
roof?

If you can get it

--
geoff
Paul

Snip
Haven't you noticed old colour cable prices are going through the
roof?

If you can get it

New colour cable came out before Part P is supposed to be enforced. Just
thought I would mention it

Paul

Paul wrote:
Snip
Haven't you noticed old colour cable prices are going through the
roof?

If you can get it

New colour cable came out before Part P is supposed to be enforced. Just
thought I would mention it

Paul

Exactly, so it doesn't matter if it's new or old colours. ;-)
Not that I'd recommend anyone lie, of course!

Peter Scott

That is very useful information. Thanks. Lack of research on my part!
I've asked the course provider to confirm what you've said and withdrawn
from the course. You saved me 370 ukp.

So its back to ekeing out the red and black then?

"Dark Angel" wrote in message

"Peter Scott" wrote in message...
I have enrolled for an electrical testing course. This is mostly
to allow me to make changes to my own and other family members'
installations and then to test them.

Ummm, you do realise that even if you're qualified you've still got to be
a member of an approved "self-certification" (Part P) scheme? Which will
cost you somewhere in the region of £2000 pa to belong to, and before you
can join have to have been trading for 2 years. Which creates a bit of a
"chicken and egg" situation.

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)
"Dark Angel's Realm of Horror" - http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk
"Realm of Horror Radio" - http://www.live365.com/stations/313834

David Hearn

raden wrote:
In message , Matt
writes

"Peter Scott" wrote:

and might even inspire others to do the same.

No, anyone with any sense will simply stick two fingers up at Prescott
and say the work was done before Part P came in.

Haven't you noticed old colour cable prices are going through the
roof?

If you can get it

Yesterday B&Q Farnborough had a few reels of 10mm T&E (possibly others)
which were 1/2 price because they were "old colours". I think it was
about £26 for a reel (no idea of the actual length).

Dark Angel

"Peter Scott" wrote in message...
That is very useful information. snipped
So its back to ekeing out the red and black then?

I don't think you can get red and black anymore, plus all the new cable
appears to have the year of manufacture enscribed on the outersheath.

However, what people do in their own homes is kind of difficult to police
and as long as you follow the regs, who's to know who installed it? Not that
I advocate illegal activities of course, just making a point!

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)
"Dark Angel's Realm of Horror" - http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk
"Realm of Horror Radio" - http://www.live365.com/stations/313834

Tim Morley

"Dark Angel" wrote in message

"Peter Scott" wrote in message...
That is very useful information. snipped
So its back to ekeing out the red and black then?

I don't think you can get red and black anymore, plus all the new cable
appears to have the year of manufacture enscribed on the outersheath.

However, what people do in their own homes is kind of difficult to police
and as long as you follow the regs, who's to know who installed it? Not
that I advocate illegal activities of course, just making a point!

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)
"Dark Angel's Realm of Horror" - http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk
"Realm of Horror Radio" - http://www.live365.com/stations/313834

I was in B&Q yesterday (leeds superstore) and they were selling of T&E (red
and black) cheep, thought it would be selling for a premium!

Peter Scott

"Dark Angel" wrote in message

"Peter Scott" wrote in message...
That is very useful information. snipped
So its back to ekeing out the red and black then?

I don't think you can get red and black anymore, plus all the new cable
appears to have the year of manufacture enscribed on the outersheath.

Not always bright, but I did lay in some stocks of 1.0 and 2.5 tw + e
I think I might have a look in BnQ.

Peter Scott

Scanned for viruses using Norton 2005 before sending

raden

In message , Peter Scott
writes

{ Nothing }

Have you electrocuted yourself or something ?

--
geoff

Dark Angel wrote:
"Peter Scott" wrote in message...
I have enrolled for an electrical testing course. This is mostly
to allow me to make changes to my own and other family members'
installations and then to test them.

Ummm, you do realise that even if you're qualified you've still got to be=

member of an approved "self-certification" (Part P) scheme? Which will co=

st
you somewhere in the region of =A32000 pa to belong to, and before you can
join have to have been trading for 2 years. Which creates a bit of a
"chicken and egg" situation.

Surely, that's only if you want to self certify. You can still be
qualified to do the work and get it inspected by the BCO.

MBQ

David Hearn wrote:
raden wrote:
Matt writes
"Peter Scott" wrote:

and might even inspire others to do the same.

No, anyone with any sense will simply stick two fingers up at Prescott
and say the work was done before Part P came in.

If you can get it

Yesterday B&Q Farnborough had a few reels of 10mm T&E (possibly others)
which were 1/2 price because they were "old colours". I think it was
about =A326 for a reel (no idea of the actual length).

They're doing 10 and 25 m lengths of 6mm=B2 and they've 5 or 6 reels of
10mm=B2

As you say, the 10mm reels are going for 1/2 price, ordinary price =A356

Was actually looking for some 2.5mm, but there's none ..

P=2E

Peter Scott

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Peter Scott
writes

{ Nothing }

Have you electrocuted yourself or something ?

--
geoff

I suppose the English had a somewhat Willam Burroughs air
to it. I meant I wasn't bright (clever) enough to find out about
certification but was bright enough to stock up a bit with
black and red cable. I suppose none of it matters until insurance
companies start asking you to sign a declaration that your
house has not had untested changes to its elec system. A
neighbour has just had his very large country house burn down.
We're not certain what caused it, but an electrical fault would
seem quite likely as the house is old and not recently done up. Part p
won't address the very houses that are most likely to have problems,
that is old ones where no changes are planned. The whole thing seems
a cock-up, orchestrating an over-priced cartel and making the likelihood
of cheap bodged jobs even greater. The commercial world must
rub its hands at this government. It gives in to their self-seeking ideas
without a murmur, and certainly without asking anyone else about it. It'll
be part pee for plumbing next no doubt.